Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
View Poll Results: Which brand has the best panhard?
BMR
18.18%
UMI
63.64%
Spohn
18.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Panhard bar - which ends?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Panhard bar - which ends?

I'm currently shopping for a adjustable panhard bar but don't know which kind of panhard bar I should buy. This is for my daily driver; light to mild cornering.

Which kind of panhard should I get for a daily driver application? Poly / poly ended? Poly / rod end?

I'm just a tad bit confused. I've been searching through the forums but have gotten mixed answers.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:16 PM
Staging Lane

I've got a UMI poly/rod ended. works great...no problems whatsoever.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

Is there a specific reason why you got poly / rod ends? How does poly / rod differ from poly / poly?
Old 05-21-2009, 02:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

umi rod/rod.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:29 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The poly/rod end bar moves more freely than the bushing ended bar. Even if the bushing bar is greased well it still doesn't move as freely as the rod ended one. If your doing some canyon carving or like taking the curves fast thats the bar to use. If your drag racing or just normal street driving the bushing ended one will work fine. We offer both with the poly/rod bar being $5 more then the poly/poly. If you have any questions please give me a call.
Attached Thumbnails Panhard bar - which ends?-phr002.jpg   Panhard bar - which ends?-phr010rsmall.jpg  
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 05-21-2009, 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

What about for longevity? Would the poly / poly combo last longer? What is the life of a rod end? How hard is it to replace them?
Old 05-21-2009, 04:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
The poly/rod end bar moves more freely than the bushing ended bar. Even if the bushing bar is greased well it still doesn't move as freely as the rod ended one. If your doing some canyon carving or like taking the curves fast thats the bar to use. If your drag racing or just normal street driving the bushing ended one will work fine. We offer both with the poly/rod bar being $5 more then the poly/poly. If you have any questions please give me a call.

I am looking at either the rod/poly or a rod/rod panhard. What are the advantages/disadvantages of going with rod ends on both ends? Will the double rod end be rough/noisy? I am looking for more of a corner carving setup w/ more emphasis being on comfort than corner carving as this is my daily driver. Will the rod ends be more harsh/noisy on bumps and rough roads or handle those situations better.
Originally Posted by benoh
What about for longevity? Would the poly / poly combo last longer? What is the life of a rod end? How hard is it to replace them?
I want to know this too.

Thanks

Last edited by JamRWS6; 05-21-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:19 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by benoh

Alot is going to depend on the driving conditions that the car sees. If the car sees snow and alot of rainy type conditions the rod ends might only last a couple years. If the car doesn't see those conditions they could last way longer. They are an easy replacement.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Last edited by BMR Tech2; 05-22-2009 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

life of a rod end is related to elements, and cost, with the higher cost units lasting much longer than cheap ones.

I am building an aluminum poly/ rod ended unit for my car, and purchasing a spare rod end for the body side, if I decide to track the car I will swap it on.

Ryan
Old 05-21-2009, 04:29 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
I am looking at either the rod/poly or a rod/rod panhard. What are the advantages/disadvantages of going with rod ends on both ends? Will the double rod end be rough/noisy? I am looking for more of a corner carving setup w/ more emphasis being on comfort than corner carving as this is my daily driver. Will the rod ends be more harsh/noisy on bumps and rough roads or handle those situations better.

Thanks
Hello, the double rod ended bar is going to be a little noisier than any of the others. The advantage to this bar is that it articulates better than any of the others. This disadvantage is that its noisier. Your best bet is going to be the poly/rod combo. The rod end will go on the rear end side and the bushing on the body. If you have any further questions please give me a call.
Attached Thumbnails Panhard bar - which ends?-phr010rsmall.jpg  
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 05-22-2009, 07:35 AM
FormerVendor

Thumbs up Pan Hard Bar ?

Originally Posted by JamRWS6

I want to know this too.

Thanks
Hello I noticed that you are asking about pan hard bars! And depending on what you do with the vehicle the most depends on what bar to go with. If it is a daily driver and a cruiser. I would recommend going with a poly/poly set-up. But if it is a street and strip set-up. I would recommend a poly/rod set up due to the rod end holding up better on the rear end. And If it is a Drag or any other type of racing I would recommend going with a double rod end (there will be road noise and a little rougher ride) but they will handle anything you through at them. Below is a link to show you what all UMI Performance has to offer!

http://umiperformance.com/products.php?category_id=124

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks
Brad
Old 05-22-2009, 09:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had all 3; poly/poly, poly/rod, rod/rod, and I never really noticed much, if any increase in noise at all between the 3.
And I find that most poly bushings limit articulation, and create as many problems as they solve unless your just strictly worried about strait line and not corner carving.
I currently use a G.W. PHB with rod/rod,which I've used for years without any regrets.
IMO, go with a rod/rod PHB!
Old 05-22-2009, 09:57 AM
TECH Regular

UMI " On Car " adjustable is great for lowered car that exposed to some drag racings and daily driving .. IMO
Old 05-22-2009, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got the UMI rod/rod and am very happy...I was warned about the noise increase, but honestly I drive an Fbody w/ a cutout. Noise? What noise? Seriously though, with the stereo off, cutout closed, windows up, I still don't hear any noise coming from my PHB. So, if it's there, it not loud at all.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:36 AM
FormerVendor

Great to hear! And thanks again.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:52 AM
TECH Resident

What kind of life can you expect out of the poly bushings? My car is mostly a DD and I don't want to be replacing rod ends in 2 years. As was said it is a DD but I want good cornering feel as well. Is polly my best bet for not replacing the bushings often and will the polly eliminate some of the deflection and issues with it feeling like the rear end jumping out while cornering and encountering a bump? The service life of rod ends scares me.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I still have the same rodends in my Global West PHB, and it's been over 5yrs now and they're still in perfectly good condition.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

Rod/Rod on all rear suspension parts and never had any problems. Unless you are driving with the stock exhaust you will not notice any difference in noise, but you might "feel" the car a little more.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

The downside to the poly ends is not articulation like it is on LCA's. The LCA's have to deal with the axle twisting as well as fore/aft location. The PHB deals with lateral loads only, and as because the axle moves up and down and doesn't rotate bind from poly is a non-issue with the PHB.

I personally use a double rod-end PHB on any car with any sort of serious cornering prowesss or big rear tires as the rod-ends don't deflect with lateral load. Poly bushings do, though a touch less than rubber. If someone has no need for the big bad race type bars, what I most normally recommend is the UMI 2022 Poly/rod hybrid that's also on-car adjustable. $128.99 http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=67&ModelID=7

Why? Because with one rod-end you minimize deflection vs. two bushings. The On-car adjustment makes it a breeze to setup. The poly goes on the body side and isolates an *potential* rod-end noise from the body.

There are also poly/rod hybrids that are not on-car adjustable for a bit less $$$. And there is an all poly adjustable too if you are willing to give up some stiffness.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 05-23-2009, 12:54 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the input; decided on getting a rod / poly on-car setup. Hope this info helps out someone else.

Quick Reply: Panhard bar - which ends?