Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Advice and courtesy

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 12:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Default Advice and courtesy

I was just hung up on by a man who I was on the phone with, for over half an hour, giving advice to. And this is not the first time we had spoken.

The reason I was hung up on was because he made it clear that he was a Speed Inc. customer, and bought his part from them and would continue to buy the part from them. Which is fine as he can buy from whomever he wishes, but this is a business and all I ask for in exchange for the advice is the opprotunity to gain your business. When I called him on that he said "I didn't think it'd be like that". Then he tells me he does landscaping and doesn't appreciate it when someone he tries to help goes with a $30 person over his $35 job. I guess somehow that's ok for him, but not for me.

Here it is, and with what's going on this won't make me any more friends, but it's honest. This is my business, I could just sell parts and give no technical advice and not discuss setups. If I worked that way I could sell more parts and maybe even charge a little less--just like the big chain stores with no customer service worth a damn can charge less. Volume means more money. I can't be a volume seller, and don't want to be. I work on information and quite fair pricing. If you have no intention of considering Strano Performance for your needs, please allow me more time to work with those who do.

Customers are buying not just product, but knowledge. I cannot give away my work product for absolutely nothing. I don't charge for my tech-line time, I do that as a courtesy. I'm only asking some courtesy be extended back to me.

Flame away, I'm sure it's coming.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-22-2009, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont think anyone should ask anymore of you. you are a site sponsor and give great advice for those who want to take it. i certainly understand how those experiences can jade you. we have spoken on the phone before but i have not bought anything from you. however, and i mean this, by the fall i will be picking up a set or your spec bilsteins. on one condition. how will they hurt traction at the track? i am at 110k miles with stock rears and 50-60k mile stock fronts.

thanks for all the help you have given to the site and those hanger uppers can go somewhere else. they arent worth your time anyway.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

If they aren't going to give me a shot what's the point in helping them? Just so I can be used? That's not ok with me.

And Jason, as you know I'm not unwilling to talk to folks who are not yet customers. I dind't pressure you on the phone, did I? But then again, you were probably upfront with me and understand my position as well.

I have guys on Koni's running in the 1.5's and Koni's have way more rebound damping than the Bilstein's do. I can comfortably tell you the launch will not suffer--might even get better.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-22-2009, 01:20 PM
On The Tree

will not suffer with the bilsteins or koni's? i would love the koni's, but as you have heard time and time again, i just cant afford that and really want new shocks since the car is going to be a DD for a while. as i have seen you say a few times, the bilsteins are great replacements for stockers with stock springs and a nice difference will be made. i cant wait for that. right after i get the tranny done, you will be hearing from me. thanks for the help.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:23 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is why you're a better person than me. I would have hung up on him. I hate having my time wasted.

Speaking of which, if you'd like I could call right now and we could discuss my setup. That might cheer you up.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Putting all the emotion and defensiveness aside and focusing on the facts...

You offer setup advice and recommendations to people who purchase from you. Some places don't, but that's the way they run their business. It's up to the consumer to decide if it's worth it to them to pay a few bucks extra to get advice from Sam Strano.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

redemn93--

Well, if you turned front Koni's way up all that rebound will slow weight transfer and in that case it'd be bad. But I don't run them nearly that stiff on my cars more setup for cornering.

Again there are folks (more than one) who have been in the 1.5's and a lot more in the 1.6-1.7 range on Koni shocks. One man 60'ed BETTER on Koni's than on a QA1/Afco combo. Even I found that amazing, but it happened.

Last edited by Sam Strano; 05-22-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:28 PM
TECH Veteran

The way I view it is that if you offer a product you should sell it and basic basic questions about it are ok. When you go off and start giving advice on a total set up and the consequences of every action that isn't something you are obligated to do but it is something you offer and your a better man for it.

A lot of places I have called often don't even know basic facts about what they sell and what it can and can't do (MSD for example).

You offer a product. They don't have to buy it but they can if it fits their needs. If it doesn't they shouldn't be wasting your time.

Congrats to you.

Being a sponsor isn't as easy as people on here think. Its expensive per month also.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Putting all the emotion and defensiveness aside and focusing on the facts...

You offer setup advice and recommendations to people who purchase from you. Some places don't, but that's the way they run their business. It's up to the consumer to decide if it's worth it to them to pay a few bucks extra to get advice from Sam Strano.
I agree. I just am amazed it pisses some off that I don't like to be used. If they don't want to even consider buying from me, that's a-ok there is plenty of business to go around and I can live with that. I'm upset that much like the rest of the world some think the earth revolves around them and can't fathom someone else's position and consider how they'd feel in my shoes.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ironhead
This is why you're a better person than me. I would have hung up on him. I hate having my time wasted.

Speaking of which, if you'd like I could call right now and we could discuss my setup. That might cheer you up.
And how do you think that would play in the public eye? I'm already considered by some around here to be overly full of myself.... Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

You know the magic number Korry.... Dial it!

Old 05-22-2009, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i dont blame you sam, if someone came to me needing advise and told me they would never buy my product, i would be reluctant to help them... its just like me calling up a GM dealer and saying "hey, i bought some shocks off of your competitor, tell me how to put them on" seriously.. should i really expect them to tell me how to put them on?

you are a great guy, and very knowledgeable, if you had the shocks that i purchased, i would have went with you.. your shop isnt that far from me, and i remember talking to you a few months ago about coming down.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
A lot of places I have called often don't even know basic facts about what they sell and what it can and can't do.
I notice several GM Dealerships are this way aswell.

Just wanted to say also that Sam has been nothing but stellar as far as customer service.
I had ordered the ATE rotors and Hawk pads a few weeks ago and was patiently waiting for a response/invoice. I sent him a friendly Email questioning about the status of my order. He promptly replied saying he had missed it and was sorry for the mix up. He also gave me the parts at the BP1 Pkg discount (which he didn't have to do),

Sam I just want to say what a pleasure it is doing business with you and I will continue to support you in the future.

Thanks Again.

Last edited by LS1W66; 05-22-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:11 PM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Like as mentioned above, advice on recommending parts is one thing. If somebody wants full setup advice there should be a charge for your time and knowledge. I know Madman charges a fee for an over the phone chassis setup, but not sure if that is for non-customers only. It may be something to start thinking about.

I've raced circle track cars for 15 years and have been pretty successful at it. Granted, I was not very good for the first few years when I was learinng. Everybody wants help from the guys that know their ****. I've never charged anybody for helping them out, but I don't own a business either. It's amazing how many people who you don't even know will ask for help like you you're going to spill the beans for them.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:29 PM
10 Second Club

Start charging a "consultation fee" for non customers that is applied to their first order. Actually, I like the idea of charging everyone a "consultation fee" to be applied to a corresponding order but that would probably go over like a lead balloon. In other words, I can't call you and ask a million questions about shocks and then buy a set of LCA brackets and expect to get my "fee" money back...although if shocks are purchased later the fee will be subtracted. Of course, full support after the sale will be gratis and judging by your willingness to share info I don't see that being a problem. Screw people wasting your time so they can pay someone else for the parts. Time is money and an irreplaceable resource, especially for a small operation like yours. BTW, I have cut a couple of 1.5s on your springs and Bilsteins. Good luck with the A-holes,

Larry
Old 05-22-2009, 04:46 PM
Banned

hijack. sorry. ^^^ larry. your idea is good. but what is someone calls sam. takes his advise. buys the part. and then it isnt like sam said it would be. do they get a refund on the consultation fee?

and i have talked to sam. and respeact is opinion very much. we have just butted heads on a few things. like aluminum.

But sam you are a great sponsor and a great mind on the board. keep up the great work.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:01 PM
10 Second Club

Using my system the consult fee is factored into the price of the part. So, just as an example and not reflecting an actual product cost...$800 for Konis, you call and pay $25 for consult and go ahead and decide to order the shocks, your balance is $775. If you don't like them after you get them than the standard refund process would apply at the $800 price point. I've seen too many good, upstanding Sponsors like Sam be run off by ungrateful A-holes while other lecherous, slimy Sponsors reap the profit of someone else's knowledge or an uniformed public. /Rant, lol.

Larry

Originally Posted by Big_Bird_WS6
hijack. sorry. ^^^ larry. your idea is good. but what is someone calls sam. takes his advise. buys the part. and then it isnt like sam said it would be. do they get a refund on the consultation fee?

and i have talked to sam. and respeact is opinion very much. we have just butted heads on a few things. like aluminum.

But sam you are a great sponsor and a great mind on the board. keep up the great work.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn, what's wrong with people? Sorry you have to deal with so many *** hats Sam. BTW, thanks for the Koni 4/4's and Strano springs.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPRETR2
Start charging a "consultation fee" for non customers that is applied to their first order. Actually, I like the idea of charging everyone a "consultation fee" to be applied to a corresponding order but that would probably go over like a lead balloon. In other words, I can't call you and ask a million questions about shocks and then buy a set of LCA brackets and expect to get my "fee" money back...although if shocks are purchased later the fee will be subtracted. Of course, full support after the sale will be gratis and judging by your willingness to share info I don't see that being a problem. Screw people wasting your time so they can pay someone else for the parts. Time is money and an irreplaceable resource, especially for a small operation like yours. BTW, I have cut a couple of 1.5s on your springs and Bilsteins. Good luck with the A-holes,

Larry

This is what we do. If you havent bought parts from me or are using another companies suspension stuff we charge a one time $70.00 fee. If you start buying parts at a later date then the $70.00 is taken into account. I am like Sam and this is my business not a hobby.

225-343-9029
Old 05-22-2009, 05:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I've always tried avoiding that, but it's getting to the point that I think I'll have to invesigate that idea. Madman and I have had similar issues, and the fact he's doing it (and has an upstanding business) makes me strongly consider this.

Thanks for the input guys, I'll be spending some time this weekend mulling this over.

Have a great Memorial Day Weekend all....

Old 05-22-2009, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Gosh is tech your life line? Why even bother with ranting here? It only defeats the purpose when you say you dont care what "they" say.....

I hate to point it out and I mean no disrespect, give it a rest, you make yourself a target.

I think your point would be taken more seriously and respectfully if you just ignore the crap, and not feed into it. Not to mention it gets really old hearing how your parts, setup and advice is part of purchasing from strano.

How bout you take into account you are dealing with a new age group here at tech and with it comes BS.

Obviously some of these folks want to learn the hard way on their own. THink of how you felt when you were learning and purchasing parts.

just my 2 cents, sorry if I sounded abrasive.

Quick Reply: Advice and courtesy