Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Advice and courtesy

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 05:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sam,

Do not change the way you do things, it's the reason I'm a loyal customer.

We've spoken a few times over the phone. Each and every time, you were eager to help, offer advice and explain why/how things work.

I ate up probably an hour of your time (between all calls) and not once did I get the impression that you were trying to run me off the phone... very gracious.

Being a newb to this whole thing, you could have very easily taken advantage of my ingnorance on the subject, as I was more than willing to replace parts I already had ( sway bars)... but you did not. You chose honor over a quick buck and for that reason, I will always be a repeat customer.

Thanks for being a stand-up guy!

My $.02
Old 05-22-2009, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I am gonna have to agree with 2000Z28M6 on this one, Sam.

Not sure what it was you wanted to accomplish with this post. You know people. When you say "don't" it just adds fuel to the perverbial fire.

Now its obvious you've garnered the sympathy vote from your peeps, but you will have made zero headway with those customers "on the fence".

A customer's time is free ... mine is expensive.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:16 PM
Launching!

Mitch, I'm only somewhat up the road from you here in AR.

What if I called you a few times to pick your brain about possibly getting a CMC car built?

What if I then took that information and gave somebody else $15K to put together a car for me?

Would that be okay or would you be more than a little pissed?

What if it happened more than once?
Old 05-22-2009, 07:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mitchntx
I think I am gonna have to agree with 2000Z28M6 on this one, Sam.

Not sure what it was you wanted to accomplish with this post. You know people. When you say "don't" it just adds fuel to the perverbial fire.

Now its obvious you've garnered the sympathy vote from your peeps, but you will have made zero headway with those customers "on the fence".

A customer's time is free ... mine is expensive.
Damn, I was going to stay out of this but..... I can't believe there are people out there who call Sam, or even consider calling Sam, or any other sponcer without the full intention of buying something from them, or have already bought from them. Are people so clueless they don't know what the right thing to do is. It should be a "no brainer" to not waste someones time if you do not intend to buy from them. I guess these are the same people who buy crap, use it, and then return it the next week or so and think that is fine. I guess it's todays "all about me" mentality that seems to common thats drives things like this.

"Garnered the sympathy vote", crap anyone with just a bit of common sense should see his point no matter who they buy from. The only thing I have sympathy for is the idiots who have to be told what the right thing is and can not figure it out themselves.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ironhead
Mitch, I'm only somewhat up the road from you here in AR.

What if I called you a few times to pick your brain about possibly getting a CMC car built?

What if I then took that information and gave somebody else $15K to put together a car for me?

Would that be okay or would you be more than a little pissed?

What if it happened more than once?

Sure I'd be pissed.

But I don't think I'd post on the net asking for those who are "out to get me" to stop.

BTW ... I'm headed to AR Monday. Eureka Springs, to be exact.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would think anyone who was knowledgeable enough to understand that Sam was the right guy to ask for setup questions would also understand that Sam operates a business. Calling for that type of advice while you know there's a 0% chance you'll ever do business with him simply isn't right -- I guess common sense escapes some of us!

The fact that Sam didn't hang up the phone on him speaks pretty strongly about his character. Just imagine how a chef would react if you asked for his special recipe without actually eating at his restaurant? I think most would show you to the door!
Old 05-22-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hi Sam,

I completely agree with you. I spoke with you twice on the phone but due to me not being able to figure out exactly what I had in regards to my Wilwood brake kit, I was not able to purchase anything. I pay attention to all the knowledge and customer service you provide us, even when were not your customers. Thats the exact reason I would shop with you, even if you charge a slight amount more than other people that treat you like **** as a customer. I know it doesnt cost more cause youre a greedy bastard. Like you stated previously, you spend your time focusing on providing knowledge to your customers. When I finally get motivated(which will be real soon), I will get the specs I need to order from you. Thanks for being a valuable asset to our community.

Jim
Old 05-22-2009, 10:16 PM
TECH Junkie

If it's basic questions, I would answer them. If it starts to get pretty in-depth then I agree with Sam.

My only problem was that I had purchased my springs from Sam but purchased my Koni's from somewhere else that was cheaper. I had a simple question about the rears and flat out refused to answer it. I'm sorry I couldn't afford to purchase from Sam but I still think I was Sam's "previous" customer.

Now, what gets me angry is that people would post up questions on here about their setup and here come's Strano entering the thread with a suggestion or an answer without knowing if the member is a customer. ?!?!?! What gives? So you choose to answer questions from random members but not from a previous customer?

Now, this thread should be locked or moved elsewhere as the thread "Sam Strano a Class Act!!" was moved to the sponsor feedback section because it had nothing to do with Suspension Tech.

This is not an Oprah forum but a tech forum.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:22 AM
On The Tree

Well I was on the fence about buyin from him or ebay ect. I think I'll buy from sam. But before I do I have question. Is ur shop open on sat .
Old 05-23-2009, 01:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
If it's basic questions, I would answer them. If it starts to get pretty in-depth then I agree with Sam.

My only problem was that I had purchased my springs from Sam but purchased my Koni's from somewhere else that was cheaper. I had a simple question about the rears and flat out refused to answer it. I'm sorry I couldn't afford to purchase from Sam but I still think I was Sam's "previous" customer.

Now, what gets me angry is that people would post up questions on here about their setup and here come's Strano entering the thread with a suggestion or an answer without knowing if the member is a customer. ?!?!?! What gives? So you choose to answer questions from random members but not from a previous customer?

Now, this thread should be locked or moved elsewhere as the thread "Sam Strano a Class Act!!" was moved to the sponsor feedback section because it had nothing to do with Suspension Tech.

This is not an Oprah forum but a tech forum.

I would of waited a week and covertly proposed the same question here on the forum to see if he answered it.

Sorry to hear of this situation.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a guy with a bunch of Spohn parts on his car that was wanted a suspension tune, so I told him about the $70 charge. He didn't seem too interested and eventually ended the conversation. The next day, he calls back claiming to have Madman parts on his car, and wanted the same suspension tune. I got his name, looked him up to see that he's never bought anything from us. Not even a dipstick or t-shirt. So I tell him about the fee again, and he promptly hangs up on me. Nice try dude.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
I think like what was already said.. the simpler basic tech questions get answered. I haven't seen Sam recommend shock settings though publicly for a long time now (several years), so I'm assuming that goes into the more advanced tech category?
Old 05-23-2009, 10:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mitchntx
BTW ... I'm headed to AR Monday. Eureka Springs, to be exact.
If you're taking the route I'm thinking of, you'll pass within two miles of my house (Springdale, AR). Wave when you drive by.

If you should get a flat or something, I can provide beer and emotional support.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:47 PM

Considering all the drama in here lately, I don't really see the point of this thread.

I agree with a statement above. You could make some customers who are on the fence about doing business with you go another route.

A customer calls, you get a chance to make a sale. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

A customer can call w/o the intention of buying from you, and you make the sale. In the same aspect a customer can call you with the intention of buying, and you lose the sale.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I was just hung up on by a man who I was on the phone with, for over half an hour, giving advice to. And this is not the first time we had spoken.

The reason I was hung up on was because he made it clear that he was a Speed Inc. customer, and bought his part from them and would continue to buy the part from them. Which is fine as he can buy from whomever he wishes, but this is a business and all I ask for in exchange for the advice is the opprotunity to gain your business. When I called him on that he said "I didn't think it'd be like that". Then he tells me he does landscaping and doesn't appreciate it when someone he tries to help goes with a $30 person over his $35 job. I guess somehow that's ok for him, but not for me.

Here it is, and with what's going on this won't make me any more friends, but it's honest. This is my business, I could just sell parts and give no technical advice and not discuss setups. If I worked that way I could sell more parts and maybe even charge a little less--just like the big chain stores with no customer service worth a damn can charge less. Volume means more money. I can't be a volume seller, and don't want to be. I work on information and quite fair pricing. If you have no intention of considering Strano Performance for your needs, please allow me more time to work with those who do.

Customers are buying not just product, but knowledge. I cannot give away my work product for absolutely nothing. I don't charge for my tech-line time, I do that as a courtesy. I'm only asking some courtesy be extended back to me.

Flame away, I'm sure it's coming.

Am I missing something here... What is the point of this thread? The above situation happens every day everywhere.. its called business.

Seems to be more browbeating to me... pretty consistent with past practice.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by davered00ss
Considering all the drama in here lately, I don't really see the point of this thread.

I agree with a statement above. You could make some customers who are on the fence about doing business with you go another route.

A customer calls, you get a chance to make a sale. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

A customer can call w/o the intention of buying from you, and you make the sale. In the same aspect a customer can call you with the intention of buying, and you lose the sale.
Don't forget, a phone call is the preferred method of reaching his customers. He encourages it.

So, just like breaking a BMR mount on an LCA or PHB, a phone call gone bad is bound to happen because there are so many made.

And there is nothing wrong with that business model. It's inefficient as hell, but it's all about comfort zone and the value of one's time, I guess.

Quick Reply: Advice and courtesy