Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

rear brake noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009 | 06:39 PM
Staging Lane

Default rear brake noise

I'd been having a squeal coming from the driver's side rear so changed the rear pads. The driver's side rear pads were pretty much done for. Used organic pads from carquest. Now both sides have an obnoxious squeal. I replaced the anti-rattle clips and rubber shields on the caliper pin bolts as well. Has anyone had a problem similar to this? Do the cheap organic pads need to be broken in a little to make the squealing go away?
Old 05-21-2009 | 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It is the pad retaining clips. Part stores will call it the brake hardware. Those little thin metal clips that go between the bracket and pad. When they wear out it slides over and rubs the rotor and squeals like an SOB! The hardware kit is cheap and will stop the squeal.
Old 05-21-2009 | 07:01 PM
Staging Lane

What I meant by anti-rattle clips was the pad retaining clips. The kit I bought came with those and the rubber piece for the caliper slide bolts. Should I try the old clips and see if that fixes the noise?
Old 05-21-2009 | 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

Well changed back to the old pad retaining clips and the obnoxious squeal is gone. So if someone runs into a problem like that remember to check those clips!
Old 05-21-2009 | 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've posted about this a couple of times now. The only brake pad retaining clips I have found that don't squeak (besides OEM) are the NAPA replacements.
Old 05-22-2009 | 02:01 PM
Staging Lane

That's funny. I got the retaining plates from NAPA. The middle part of the clips stuck out too far and were rubbing the rims of the rotors on both top and bottom. Shoulda seen the looks on my neighbors' faces when I rolled back into the driveway squeaking like that...