Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bushing Replace?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Bushing Replace?

Ok Guys/Gals, I finished my tie rod boots today and while under there inspected all of my front upper and lower bushings and ball joints. Looks like I'm gonna have to replace the upper and lower control arm bushings in the front as they are completely shot (guess that's why my car handles like sh## on bumps). Ordered some Moog OEM replacements as I wanna stay away from Poly and I'm gonna be tackling it this weekend. Any advise on changing them out? Do I need to remove the spindle or can I just drop the rear of the CA's and remove the old bushings and press the new one's in? Also, what is the best way to get the old one's out and the best way to put the new one's in? Do they need to be pressed out or in?
If I do have to separate the spindle what is the best way to do it with out screwing up the ball joints or boots as I have heard a pickle fork can screw them up?
Thanks and any input is greatly appreciated.

FYI - The reason I am leaving the ball joints alone is they look and perform perfect. Boots look new (no cracks or wear) and they have zero play.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone done this before?
Old 05-24-2009, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the loan a tool from autozone or local part store. It's called a ball joint service tool.

It will help you press the bushings out and re press the new ones.

I'll probably redo my Front Lower Control Arms soon. I've changed out a front lower arm before and it's not hard. Remember to turn the wheel as it will help in the clearance of certain bolts.

good luck.

hope this helps
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-bushings.html
Old 05-24-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000Z28M6
Get the loan a tool from autozone or local part store. It's called a ball joint service tool.

It will help you press the bushings out and re press the new ones.

I'll probably redo my Front Lower Control Arms soon. I've changed out a front lower arm before and it's not hard. Remember to turn the wheel as it will help in the clearance of certain bolts.

good luck.

hope this helps
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-bushings.html
LOL - Got it all done today and man I hope to not do that again for a while. The disassembly and reassembly went really smooth (bolts came out easy and no issues) but pressing the bushings in an out is a joke as I nearly broke the ball joint press just pushing the first ones out and screwed up a new bushing trying to get it in. Ended up taking the arms up to a local auto shop and having them press them in with a press. Once that was done everything went smooth and the car is wayyyy better. Need to have an alighnment done before I really drive it as it only comes out of the garage about once a month.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for sharing your experience with inspecting and replacing some of the most overlooked and critical components of one's suspension. It just shows that even when a car gets "old" it can feel much more improved when the critical parts are replaced with proper ones.

AFA Poly bushings go, not all are bad. In fact, they're good in a few places on the car, but as mentioned above, they don't belong in ANY of control arms (especially the fronts).