Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Anyone between sa or da shocks. Good read....

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 07:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone between sa or da shocks. Good read....

I have been doing a lot of searching on suspension both here and other sites and found what I thought was a great description of how shocks are supposed to work. I am sure alot of you know this but for some that might not I thought I would share this info with you.

TWO TYPES OF ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS
A single adjustable shock is typically adjustable in only one direction. However, variations of this type of shock are currently on the market. The AFCO single adjustable shocks are only rebound (extension) adjustable. This style of shock is offered because much of the tuning can be made with only the rebound (extension) of the shock. The compression (bump) valving is preset at the factory. But don't worry--the compression (bump) valving is sophisticated. It is also velocity sensitive, responding to input ranging from a 13 (thirteen) second street machine to a door slammer running deep into the 9 (nine) second range.

A double adjustable shock allows compression (bump) and rebound (extension) to be adjusted separately. This shock is the top of the line and will allow the maximum performance to be squeezed from the given combination, provided the chassis tuner has properly adjusted the shocks. An example of when a double adjustable shock can be used to enhance performance is when the starting line is less than ideal. The chassis tuner can soften up the rebound setting to apply the tires more quickly and with more force. The chassis tuner may also want to stiffen the compression (bump) setting to hold the tires on the track, thereby eliminating wheel slippage and also possible tire shake or wheel hop.

TUNING TIPS
Shocks are just one of many suspension variables on a race car. However, a current trend is to focus on the importance of the effects of shocks on the performance of a race car. With this in mind, we have included a few tuning tips and observations about our series shocks.

Virtually every car will separate at the launch. The rear suspension system forces the chassis upward while pushing the axle housing down. This is typically the first movement for most drag cars. For this reason, the extension, or rebound control, of the shock is extremely critical. The chassis tuner will need to have a shock that has a broad range of adjustments--a shock that will make a noticeable change in suspension characteristics when the shocks are adjusted.

The key elements to tuning the chassis are how quickly and with how much force the axle housing separates and drives the tires into the starting line. Starting lines that are bald, slick, or extremely hot will usually lack good traction. Therefore, a shock that has had the extension (rebound) softened will create more traction (greater separation). As the tire wraps up, the axle is driven down, and the chassis pitch rotates, the sidewall of the tire is compressed. At some point, the torque from the engine will decrease or the chassis will reach maximum pitch rotation. When this occurs, the tires will start to return to their original form perfectly round. This action can cause wheel hop or can "unhook" the tire. Here is where the compression setting becomes critical. The compression valving can now be set stiffer to hold the tire down on the track. This method of shock tuning is used by many of the most successful drag racers in the sport today.

I was under the impression that when you "soften" up the shocks for drag racing you were helping to squat the car, as you can see you are actually doing the total opposite with the shock.