Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Alignment without wheel lip

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Alignment without wheel lip

I just got a new wheel and tire setup on my car, and I was going to get a wheel alignment, since I haven't ever had one done since I've owned the car.

The problem is my wheels don't have any lip on the face for the alignment machine satellites to lock into.

Anyone know of an alignment rack that doesn't require a wheel lip and who would have it??
Old 05-26-2009, 12:41 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if there is any gap between the wheel and tire i could get the heads on there, its not that hard.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:34 AM
11 Second Club

When I was still working ( used Hunter equ. for over 30 years)10-20 pecent of my alignments were on custom wheels with no lip,I would jack up the car/truck blead off the air, connect the equment, add air, align auto and collect my money and send a happy driver down the road.
Also there are several adpators to use on custom wheels that hook onto the lugs and never connect to the wheel some also connect to the tires and not to the wheel
SO there are several ways to align without danage to the wheels
remenber where there is a will there is a way, just look for the right person who knows how to use the equ. ask around then talk to the tec doing the work
good luck, Johnny
Old 05-26-2009, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS SLP2
When I was still working ( used Hunter equ. for over 30 years)10-20 pecent of my alignments were on custom wheels with no lip,I would jack up the car/truck blead off the air, connect the equment, add air, align auto and collect my money and send a happy driver down the road.
Also there are several adpators to use on custom wheels that hook onto the lugs and never connect to the wheel some also connect to the tires and not to the wheel
remenber where there is a will there is a way, just look for the right person who knows how to use the equ. ask around then talk to the tec doing the work
good luck, Johnny
I'll have to call around and see if I can find somewhere that will do it like you've described.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:45 AM
TECH Regular

turn the pegs over and expand the target inside the wheel it doesn have to be on the outside just as long as it stays on there, you could also use a rubber pad on the pegs as to not scratch the inside if you have a lip
Old 05-27-2009, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SS SLP2
good luck, Johnny

i would go this route. find a place that can use an adapter and doesn't put the target/sensor between your rim and tire because there's always a possibility that who ever does your alignment may put small nicks/scratches on your new wheels when tightening down the equipment.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MyKeE
i would go this route. find a place that can use an adapter and doesn't put the target/sensor between your rim and tire because there's always a possibility that who ever does your alignment may put small nicks/scratches on your new wheels when tightening down the equipment.
Thats what I'll look for. The last thing I want is any damage to my new wheels

There is one other alternative, but I'm not sure if it would work properly:

I have a set of 16" salad shooter wheels off of a V6 with a lip that would work perfectly...but does anyone know if going from 215/60/16 tires for the alignment to 245/40/18's afterwards would throw the alignment off?? Ideally I'd like to get it aligned with the 18"s, but if I could use the 16" and have it come out the same, that would be excellent.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
Thats what I'll look for. The last thing I want is any damage to my new wheels

There is one other alternative, but I'm not sure if it would work properly:

I have a set of 16" salad shooter wheels off of a V6 with a lip that would work perfectly...but does anyone know if going from 215/60/16 tires for the alignment to 245/40/18's afterwards would throw the alignment off?? Ideally I'd like to get it aligned with the 18"s, but if I could use the 16" and have it come out the same, that would be excellent.
doing this will throw it off. any competent alignment shop can do it
Old 05-27-2009, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
doing this will throw it off. any competent alignment shop can do it
Dang, thats what I figured.

I'll have to call around and get someone who has the proper adapters.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MyKeE
there's always a possibility that who ever does your alignment may put small nicks/scratches on your new wheels when tightening down the equipment.
A possibility? More like a guarantee unless they are chrome. Same with wheel weights. I guess there are some guys who can put the heads on without scratching **** though. I'm one of them usually, but almost every car i see has nicks around the lip from alignment heads, and usually a nick near the valve stem from pulling the stem out with a weight hammer.

Quick Reply: Alignment without wheel lip