Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Right rear height lower than left after new tires installed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right rear height lower than left after new tires installed?

Hey, I just today got 2 new tires in the rear (my old ones had maybe 1/32"). I had Toyo 285/40?ZR/18 now I have 2 bran new BF Goodrich G-force Super Sport A/S 275/40ZR-18s. They are very close in height.

When I was cleaning my car today (something I do often, as I detail cars), I noticed that the right rear is maybe 1-2" lower than the left rear (parked in my driveway). I moved the car onto the street and it looked better, but I am not sure. I will have to try to get pictures tomorrow.

I got the tires installed at Discount Tires, where I watched every move they made through the window. The only thing that I can think of was that when they lowered the car (with 2 floor jacks), the left side was up in the air longer than the other, possibly making much extra weight on one spring, the one with the height too low.

I do not have any extra weight in the rear right (spare and jack, as usual), and I do not have lowered suspension. I do have UMI lower control arms, adj. TA w/ reloc., ph bar, sf conn., and strut tower brace.

Why might my right rear be 1-2" lower than my left rear? Please give me input, This problem must be new, because I KNOW that I would have noticed before - no question there. I am going back to the tire place tomorrow to ask them about it, but chances are they didn't do anything.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:17 PM
12 Second Club

i dont think jacking the car will ever affect spring height unless you have the oldest most rusted salt corroded springs ever. Can you get a look under the car and see if anything looks abnormal?
Old 05-26-2009, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by spy2520
i dont think jacking the car will ever affect spring height unless you have the oldest most rusted salt corroded springs ever. Can you get a look under the car and see if anything looks abnormal?
My car is a southern car with less than 35k on th clock, so there is no corrosion or anything like that. I looked underneath and I saw nothing out of the ordinary. I didn't inspect closesly, but I definitely didn't see anything that grabbed my attention. I will try to get pictures up tomorrow comparing left and right, and some shots underneath.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:14 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Every single 4th gen I have seen has the passenger side sitting anywhere from 3/4-1" lower than the driver's side. Some people say it's so that when you get in the car, it will level out, but I don't buy it.

I've got the same thing, and it drive's me nutz sometimes.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:36 AM
TECH Regular

I was having this issue with many lowered cars when replacing the tires .. but it need some miles on it to back normal ! ..
Old 05-27-2009, 03:07 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys. I believe I am like every other guy on this forum who knows every square inch of his car, and I never have noticed it before. I looked through my pictures of the car and before it was definitely right (maybe a little bit off, but it looked perfectly fine). I have a few pictures now and you can see it's like an inch off. Hopefully after some more miles are put on her the height will get better.

Sorry, I can't figure out how to insert the pictures I just took, but in two, I compare the height with a tape measure and you can see that there is about 1.25" difference - very noticeable.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Go sit some blocks on the left side hump for a few days. Or just drive it hard, it will settle. Or, just gut the whole interior like me and the car will sit a few inches higher.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Every single 4th gen I have seen has the passenger side sitting anywhere from 3/4-1" lower than the driver's side. Some people say it's so that when you get in the car, it will level out, but I don't buy it.

I've got the same thing, and it drive's me nutz sometimes.
i havent seen it much on camaros, but i've seen it on plenty birds.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I've seen it on all F-bodies, including mine. I reduced it a little by doing the hose mod on on the drivers side rear and using an LT1 isolator on the passenger side rear - but I feel that if I used an LS1 isolator on the passenger side rear with the hose modded drivers side rear, then that would resolve the "gangster lean" issue for stock ride height applications...
Old 05-28-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

After jacking and lowering my vehicle I usually stand on the door sill and "jump" up and down to settle the suspension. I do it on both sills and I can return the vehicle to it's regular ride height. Note I only have 2 rubber bushings in the whole suspension so this works very well, YMMV.

Quick Reply: Right rear height lower than left after new tires installed?