Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

QUICK Brake & Caliper question

Old 05-28-2009, 04:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QUICK Brake & Caliper question

Im going to be installing new brakes next week and since the wheels will be off I figure Ill paint the calipers too. Just had a quick question as to which I should do first

1) Install new Pads & Rotors
2) Paint Calipers

or vice versa? I am going to guess that would be better than painting first then installing since Ill have to wait and let them dry

Also, I am facing such a difficult decision... haha what color should I paint!?

I bought silver awhile ago but never got around to doing it but now Im thinking I should do black. My car is almost totally blacked out besides the chrome lip, and Im not sure the silver will look right if it doesnt match the lip.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

You have a garage to work on your car right? If so, place it on jackstands, and remove all four wheels, unbolt the caliper, remove the rotor and brake pads. Now you can paint each and let it dry overnight. The next day you can install the rotors and brake pads and season them when it's safe. You shouldn't paint the calipers with pads installed (ghetto). So, you're gonna have to remove the pads twice if you install first. Might as well not have to remove them twice. Remember to use a tiny bit of blue loctite on the caliper bolts along with some silencer on the pad!

P.S. Gloss black. You know you want to. Plus, 98+ calipers are already silver if you keep them clean enough. If you paint it silver you'll be back to square one... haha.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah I see, yea I will probably go see if I can exchange the silver for black.

So the calipers will be completely off when Im painting? Or after removing the pads and rotors they will still be on?
Old 05-29-2009, 04:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimitri-
Ah I see, yea I will probably go see if I can exchange the silver for black.

So the calipers will be completely off when Im painting? Or after removing the pads and rotors they will still be on?
Best bet is to remove the pads and rotors and then bolt the calipers back on finger-tight. That way when you paint them they will be in the same position as when they are fully bolted in. You won't paint unnecessary areas or miss a vital spot that way. Can probably get away with just the pads removed but you said you were doing a rotor change too, so...

Search this Thread