Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

suspension mods?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension mods?

i was wanting to know of the best suspension mods for my 02 A4 TA i can buy and what the costs are also if a person with average mechanical knowledge could install them or should i go pro with the install if you have part #'s that would be great

THANKS GUYS
Old 11-06-2003, 07:29 PM
Teching In

thanks
Old 11-06-2003, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

First and best thing you can do no matter if you like drag racing or good handling is a set of sub frame connectors. If you want better handling - check out a strut tower brace, lowering springs, shocks, etc.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Classic
First and best thing you can do no matter if you like drag racing or good handling is a set of sub frame connectors. If you want better handling - check out a strut tower brace, lowering springs, shocks, etc.
how much does this stuff cost and could i install my self
Old 11-06-2003, 09:06 PM
TECH Junkie

samurai,
As Classic points out, subframe connectors are a great first mod for your F-body.

But, you really should first spend some time considering exactly what your goals are for the car (e.g. drag race, street-only, road race, autox, etc) because it will make a huge difference in the suspension setup that you will want to use (and not use).

Once you've got an idea of what you want from the car I would recommend spending some time researching in the Handling and Braking forum and also the Racing forums since there is some great suspension info here depending on your chosen goals.

Also, the following link is a good starting point for better understanding the F-body suspension: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/1701/bushings.htm

HTH
Old 11-06-2003, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

You defiantly should get some SFC and a STB, Im workin on the SFC's right now. Also you should look at a Panhard Bar to keep your rear-end centerd with the frame under heavy accelaration. Good Luck man and check out the Handling and Breaking forum.

WeS
Old 11-06-2003, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would disagree with the STB. I got one and have noticed no difference. IMHO on street tires you can not push your car enough for a STB to be effective.

My next mod will probably be SFC or shocks if that helps you.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/1701/bushings.htm

Tubular lca/phb with poly doesn't make any difference in handling over stock parts etc...? hmmm, so according to that article, my car must defy the suspension laws or been a major lemon cause in stock form the handling was just plain dangerous and unpredictable. Oh well, better not poke fun at the info...my phr brackets might break off someday due to the poly bushings.

On the serious side:
I'd vote subframes (SLP) and if you get phr or lca's next, I'd say make sure they come with the best rod ends possible.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:27 PM
TECH Resident

SFC's are without a doubt the best suspension mod I have done to date. I wish I had done them years ago. The way they made the car feel is amazing. Not to mention it makes tire rotations and brake pad swaps a breeze!
Old 11-07-2003, 10:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by skippytheloon
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/1701/bushings.htm

Tubular lca/phb with poly doesn't make any difference in handling over stock parts etc...? hmmm, so according to that article, my car must defy the suspension laws or been a major lemon cause in stock form the handling was just plain dangerous and unpredictable. Oh well, better not poke fun at the info...my phr brackets might break off someday due to the poly bushings.
skippy,
Please feel free to install whatever you want on your car. I choose to post the link for those interested in learning about the F-body suspension...
Old 11-08-2003, 12:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ackattack1
I would disagree with the STB. I got one and have noticed no difference. IMHO on street tires you can not push your car enough for a STB to be effective.

My next mod will probably be SFC or shocks if that helps you.
I did a STB at 500 miles (or somewhere around there) on my 2002 Z28 and found that there was alot less cowl shake on railroad tracks and potholes. The steering wheel doesn't bounce around like it used to over bumps. They do seem to help stiffen the chassis, at least to a point. They are inexpensive and really can't hurt anything...and will likley help keep your car squeak and rattle free.

As for the other info about poly bushings and unpredictable handling...that is correct. At least when the cars are pushed hard it is. They bind the suspension which makes the car behave like it has stiffer springs than it actually does. This can cause the rear end to do evil things. If you are not having problems, that's great, but it probably means you are not driving the car hard enough to have those problems (and on the street, that is a good thing, at an autocross or road course, that is another story).

My thoughts.

Quick Reply: suspension mods?