Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Stipped a nut on my shock!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 12:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stipped a nut on my shock!

OK this week i am installing lowering springs on my car. Today I ran into a problem. I took off the driver side shock/spring. Compressed the spring to take the rubber boot off the top of the shock. Go to take off the bolt at the top of the shock and it got stipped. How can i remove it or can I??? Will i have to buy a new shock?? Plz help me out. TY!!!
Old 11-08-2003, 12:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will probably have to replace that shock. It seems that water collects in there and the shocks rust (then they strip). I would not try to reuse them. If it comes apart, it will cost you more than a new shock would (and change them in pairs, do both fronts).

Good luck!
Old 11-08-2003, 11:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, I had the same issue with mine. It looked like water had been sitting in the strut mount since day one. I was able to save the strut by cutting into the nut with a cutting wheel enough to pop it off. Then I just went back to clean up the threads on the strut. However, it should be noted that the rust in my situation had rounded the outside of the nut, but the integrity of the threads on the strut was still ok. If the stud is badly stripped, I agree with Trackbird that they should be replaced. It wouldn't be fun if that came apart.

Good Luck
Jeff
Old 11-09-2003, 02:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

i had that happen on a 95 Camaro ... I was lazy and cut through the shaft with a hack saw

Quick Reply: Stipped a nut on my shock!