Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Aftermarket Rubber Bushing LCA's

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aftermarket Rubber Bushing LCA's

As the threat title depicts, I was just wondering if there is anybody that makes aftermarket LCA's with solid rubber bushings.

I've searched, but came up empty with only ply ended or rod ended designs.

Thanks!
Old 06-03-2009, 03:23 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CranMaro99
As the threat title depicts, I was just wondering if there is anybody that makes aftermarket LCA's with solid rubber bushings.

I've searched, but came up empty with only ply ended or rod ended designs.

Thanks!

Give me a call.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 06-03-2009, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

J&M also makes the 3-piece poly-ball bushing for their LCAs.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe Global West makes high durometer rubber bushing LCAs, but I could be wrong.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ZexGX
I believe Global West makes high durometer rubber bushing LCAs, but I could be wrong.
Yeah they do, but that's just on one end.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Last I looked at the GW LCA's w/ Rubber bushings, the bushings themselves appeared to be something in the manner of off-the-shelve bushings, similar if not exactly like the 1LE/Moog bushings.

Nevertheless, they're some overbuilt and significantly heavy LCA's (something I believe is extremely overbuilt and in general, unecessary).
Old 06-04-2009, 03:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
Give me a call.

Man if you guys come out with a set I would buy them in heartbeat.

I've got J&M poly-ball bushing LCA's which aren't too bad, but would really like rubber bushings and would like another option beside 1LE bushings in stockers.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by 4150

I've got J&M poly-ball bushing LCA's which aren't too bad, but would really like rubber bushings and would like another option beside 1LE bushings in stockers.
I don't see any benefit from going to rubber bushings, when the J&M bushings are better than rubber bushings, and just as quiet.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:07 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 4150

We do offer a rubber bushing lca. We just don't have them listed on the web site. Give me a call for pricing.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 06-04-2009, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
I don't see any benefit from going to rubber bushings, when the J&M bushings are better than rubber bushings, and just as quiet.
The J&M bushings are a neat idea, however my long time friend tried the J&M arm on my old Camaro that I sold to him. Whilst their bushings are definitely much better than standard "solid" poly bushings, they require greasing like solid poly bushings. With the weather conditions combined with his driving style, he actually wore out the "soft outer poly cups" quite quickly even though he kept them lubricated quite often with a proper non-pertroleum based synthetic grease. Also, when the outer cups did get worn from excessive creeping, the was an excessive amount of noise that began to arise. Nevertheless, he did get them replaced and they're like "new" again.

With his concerns to "real-world" performance, he saw no benefit from having them on vs. the stock arms w/ 1LE/Moog solid bushings. As hard as it's to believe, those ugly and simple solid rubber bushings are really hard to beat.

Even though the J&M poly-ball ends are certainly better than the standard poly ones, they still suffer from stiction, even when there is plenty of grease present. The Johnny Joints are a little better since the inner ball is actually metallic, but the outer cups are still poly, so there's still significant stiction present.

It's really a YMMV deal.

Last edited by Foxxtron; 06-04-2009 at 05:33 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

It would be nice if somebody would come up with a rubber bushing that would replace the poly ones in aftermarket LCA's, a lot of us already have aftermarket LCA's and it would very cost effective. Actually it's probably available somewhere but I haven't seen it.

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
The J&M bushings are a neat idea, however my long time friend tried the J&M arm on my old Camaro that I sold to him. Whilst their bushings are definitely much better than standard "solid" poly bushings, they require greasing like solid poly bushings. With the weather conditions combined with his driving style, he actually wore out the "soft outer poly cups" quite quickly even though he kept them lubricated quite often with a proper non-pertroleum based synthetic grease. Also, when the outer cups did get worn from excessive creeping, the was an excessive amount of noise that began to arise. Nevertheless, he did get them replaced and they're like "new" again.
That's exactly what is happening to mine. They were great at first but they wear out and I'd rather go with a more permanent solution instead of swapping out bushings every 10K miles. Another thing that bothers me about them is the position of the grease zerk, it's right up against the center "ball" bushing making the zerk almost useless.

We do offer a rubber bushing lca. We just don't have them listed on the web site. Give me a call for pricing.
LOL I've already spent my car allowance this month and my wife would kill me. I will definitely be giving you guys a call in about a month. What design are the LCA's? boxed or tubular?

Last edited by 4150; 06-04-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh sweet! I'll be calling for info/ordering soon. But my budget for June is tight this month.

Why not post them online?
Old 06-05-2009, 06:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are your rubber bushed LCAs double adjustable? A couple of years ago, I fabbed up a set of tubular LCAs that would accept the stock rubber bushings, because I had the time, and access to a Bridgeport and lathe at work. That's the good news....

The bad news is that after owning the car for 14 years, it recently went on a "new style" Hunter HawkEye alignment rack, and I found the rear end to be a bit skewed to the right. I've been told it's within "acceptable" limits, but now that I know it's off, it kind of bothers me.

I'd like to have the ability to adjust the thrust angle that the "double adjustable" LCA provides, however the roads here are too rough for a rod/rod LCA, and I don't care for the binding action of the poly/poly LCA. A double adjustable with rubber bushings would be ideal. (even after I spent the $$ to fab a slick set of LCAs)
Old 06-05-2009, 06:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Foxxtron

With his concerns to "real-world" performance, he saw no benefit from having them on vs. the stock arms w/ 1LE/Moog solid bushings. As hard as it's to believe, those ugly and simple solid rubber bushings are really hard to beat.

Even though the J&M poly-ball ends are certainly better than the standard poly ones, they still suffer from stiction, even when there is plenty of grease present. The Johnny Joints are a little better since the inner ball is actually metallic, but the outer cups are still poly, so there's still significant stiction present.

It's really a YMMV deal.
I have the J&M lca's on my vehicle and the ball in cup bushing design is interesting to say the least. I knew before hand I would be replacing them every so often, but no nearly enough to be an annoyance. I used energy suspension grease ( a very liberal amount) and have driven quite hard on the same bushings for two years with no squeaking. They perform excellent in my opinion and can be purhased rather cheaply.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Rubber Bushing LCA's