Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Shock question

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shock question

I did a short search but really didn't find what I was looking for...

I was wondering if one was only going to replace the shocks/struts which would you buy. I don't intend or desire to change the springs on my 02 WS6. Sure I know some would but that's not my objective here I just want to replace the shocks/struts.

I was looking at the SLP blistiens but it seems they were designed to work with the upgrade suspension package for the Firehawks. So, I don't know if they will work well or even with the regular 02 WS6 springs?

I know I don't want to go with Koni's... Yes I know they are great but it's not in my budget and I really don't need shocks/struts that do all of that. I'm just looking for something better than those OEM decarbon's...

Any suggestions?
Old 06-05-2009, 11:42 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by *JC*

I was wondering if one was only going to replace the shocks/struts which would you buy. I don't intend or desire to change the springs on my 02 WS6. Sure I know some would but that's not my objective here I just want to replace the shocks/struts.

I was looking at the SLP blistiens but it seems they were designed to work with the upgrade suspension package for the Firehawks. So, I don't know if they will work well or even with the regular 02 WS6 springs?

I know I don't want to go with Koni's... Yes I know they are great but it's not in my budget and I really don't need shocks/struts that do all of that. I'm just looking for something better than those OEM decarbon's...

Any suggestions?
Hello, you have several choice. AGX'S, Bilstiens, and Tokico HP series are all good choices for what you are wanting to do. We carry the Tokico's which are a very reasonably price shock that deliver good performance. Here is a link to our site. If you have any questions please give me a call.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F4.htm
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 06-05-2009, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

Number one, these cars have 4 shocks - no struts.

Second, if you plan on keeping the car for a long time - save up for the Konis. You will feel like you got a new car. I don't track my car at all, only DD it 20-30k miles per year, and I wish I had saved up for the Konis.

I put the Bilsteins on mine, and they were a massive improvement - better control, comfort, and "handling." Moreso than the rest of my mods put together with no downside. Having ridden in a Koni car, they are as much of an improvement over the Bilsteins as the Bilsteins were over stock. I KICK myself for not saving up for the Konis, it was a mistake. Konis do need to be properly adjusted for each car.

Keep in mind that shocks affect your enjoyment of the car every second it is rolling, under every circumstance. They also affect safety and control under every circumstance, as well as comfort. Combined with the fact that shocks are the weakest OEM component on these cars, and it's the single biggest favor you can do yourself.

Three things:
1. Call Sam Strano, order what he suggests from him - he tailors his suggestions to your needs, not his sales targets
2. If you don't get the Konis, do not EVER ride in a properly sorted Koni car, trust me
3. Strano and Konis are not suggested often because people are "nutswingers", it's because they are the best available for our cars on a real world budget.

Good luck.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:53 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

SLP Bilstein's are odd. I sell them, but really I never use them. In fact a big reason why is SLP never used a specific rear shock, they used HD rears with a slighly valved front (and fwiw, not really changed a huge amount vs. HD's then). Well, the current HD rear is a mess--so much so I will not use it. That's why we have what we call Strano-spec Bilstein's which are an older, not messed up valving. The current HD rear is more alike the deCarbon's than they should be, and ever were in the past. I have no idea why they'd be dumb enough to do that, but they did....

I sell Tokico. I sell KYB AGX. I sell Bilstein (all versions, HD, SLP, and Strano-spec). I sell Koni too. I can see Koni's are out, and that's cool. Based on your wants, the Strano-spec Bilstein's are what I'd recommend. They are $435/set.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 06-05-2009, 11:57 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by *JC*

Any suggestions?
I was in the same boat as you were. I was deciding between the Strano Bilsteins and the Konis. I decided on the Konis but think for a stock height car the Bilsteins are probably the route you want to go if you don't want to spend the money on the Konis.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

Thanks everyone...

The main thing is I plan to keep the WS6 springs as I see no reason to replace them. I sure don't won't to lower my car like others do that's for sure. This is why I was looking for shocks only to replace the decarbons. Seems to me I see many shock combos but they all seem either geared to changing springs or a pkg deal with replacement springs. This is why I was looking for shocks that will work with the factory WS6 springs. Yes, I know the WS6 springs aren't as good as the 98-00 WS6 springs. Just trying to find a shock that will work better than the OEM decarbons? Keep in mind this car isn't driven often sometimes less than 1500 miles a year.

I wasn't dead set on the SLP blistiens just something on the list to inquiry about? As for the Koni's it's really not about the money, well I do think they are way too pricy. However I do agree you get what you pay for most of the time but not always. Meaning if you don't use it then it's of no use to you so why pay more for something you won't be using? I was looking for the middle ground in price and performance and that's mostly the main reason the Koni's are not an option. I'll never need that much performance...

I've not heard good stories about the KYB's? They are considered by my autocross friends as "Keep You Bouncing" or in other words they are not very fond of KYB... These fellas I know aren't just a bunch of kids or people that don't know what they are talking about. Most of them are veteran SCCA members/drivers so I would safely say they do know their stuff. They did mention that Tokico shocks are quality shocks for the money much better than many higher priced shocks. Yes, they all like Koni's but wasn't sure Koni made anything cheaper as it's not Koni's target market. They did make mention of Blistiens but neither gave them a thumbs up or down just said they are okay. They did say the OEM decarbons were laughable and that Sears shocks would have been better.

So, there I am trying to figure out what would work best for my application. I'm looking for something that will mate with my springs. Yet hoping to get a better performing shock maybe not Koni performance level but something far better than the OEM decarbons.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

Strano-spec Bilstein HDs are what you want. You'll be very happy, just make sure to never ride in a nice Koni-ized car.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do it right and do it once.If you plan on keeping your car for a long time don't mess around.
Save your money and buy the Koni's.I rode in a car with bilsteins and boy was I glad that Strano told me to get the Koni's.You will be amazed at the difference.It's the best money you'll ever spend.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:02 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Tokico is a name a lot of folks know, but frankly to put Tokico quality on the level of Bilstien or Koni is a joke. Like saying, sadly, that Chevrolet quality is up to that of Honda and Toyota. And fwiw using that comparison I'd rate current GM stuff higher vs. the others than I would Tokico vs. the others shocks.

Unlike others I deal with both customers and companies every day. I know when/how and what issues arise if there are issues with a part. No company will warranty every shock because frankly there is abuse that goes on--and they all shouldn't be warrantied. The issue here it Tokico finds a million reasons not to. And they make everyone jump through hoops like a circus animal to even see if they will do anything. Well, it's their warranty--not mine, and it's not right that they force the customer to go through extra steps which adds extra time. Then they drag me into it which takes my time too.

I'll be honest, while I sell Tokico and my pricing is more than fair--I'm very frank when I tell folks if you have trouble with one, don't hold your breath on getting it resolved. You end up buying another damper in 99% of the cases.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 847 Likes on 648 Posts

I think Strano Bilsteins are the best option for a stock car.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:44 AM
TECH Regular

If you want to keep the stock height/springs, would you recommend konis? I don't necessarily want to lower the car too much (if any) since there are some dips where we currently run. I'm planning on an upgrade this year and will be keeping the car long-term. I've been autocrossing the past year and will likely continue to do so. Thanks!
Old 01-04-2010, 12:38 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You run @ Gulf Greyhound Park, right? Houston, dips... and I've been there.

Lowering the car will cause you no issues at that site. Your mods already take you out of F-stock, which means you can use the benefit of lowering springs (and swaybar, and offset bushings, etc) to make the car faster....

Do Koni's work on stock height cars with stock springs? Absolutely. My F-stock win in my Camaro were on Koni's and stock springs.