Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

AGX's out and Bilsteins in!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker
With no bottoming out over bumps or that floaty feeling I keep hearing people get once they install a lowering springs on the stock shocks? Just a lil concern since they weren't designed for a large drop at all.
Hasn't ever said one bad thing about them. As a matter of fact, none of my friends with them have and all there cars are lowered. The only reason I got the agx's to begin with was because they were relatively the same price, no one around here has them and so I thought I would give them a try. Now I wish I would have just went with what I knew and bought the bilsteins first time.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just took out the KYB AGX and put in the SLP Bilstein and LT1 Prokit and love it
Old 06-08-2009, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

^The difference is unbelievable!
Old 06-08-2009, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uLs1a
I just took out the KYB AGX and put in the SLP Bilstein and LT1 Prokit and love it
How would you describe the overall ride? A lil offtopic but do the LTs sag at all like the ls1 eibachs?
Old 06-08-2009, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its different strokes for different folks, just gotta do a lot of research before spending lots of money on shocks/springs. I went from:

1) Stock shocks/springs
- Stock setup, we all know they suck.
2) KYB/DMS
- Ok set up, pretty stiff, shocks did not last long
3) Bilstein HD/DMS
- Good set up, stiff set up
4) KYB AGX/Strano
- Ok set up. I didnt think it was up to all the hype people made it out to be. I think I did not match the shocks up right. I think I would have really enjoyed it if I matched the springs up with the Konis, but I do not want to spend that much money.
5) and now I have SLP Bilstein/LT1 Prokit
- I have only put 130 miles on this set up, but I am loving it. Its a smooth solid ride. Eventhough I hate swapping shocks/springs Im glad I got this set up.

As for the sagging issue, I am not sure out the LT1 Prokit is. I read somewhere that the LT1 kit is more popular then the LS1 kit for the LS1 cars. Just do a lot of research and if you have friends or know people with lowered f-bodies take a ride in their car and see how you like it.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

if yall want Sam's opinion just search it because there are countless threads of him going over differences in shocks.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

I'm well on record in saying I don't the the AGX's are the best. I also sell Bilstein and make no bones about the fact they are built better and deal with the sharp bumps better. But they are not meant for lowering springs and over the long run (not the short term) the much higher spring rate and shorter amount of travel afforded to the shock to damp springs beyond what was intended will catch up to those running that way.

The fact that some run Bilstein's and like it really has little bearing on this, and here is why: I have customers with Bilstein's and lowering springs who after having them for a long time, find them to be no longer as good as when the shocks were new. When those replacing crap shocks with Bilstein's, you will see a huge difference--because the Bilstein's are better. But better and correct for the use long-term are not the same. If you replace a bald tire, heat-cycled with a new one, even if it's not a great performance tire. That doesn't make a Goodyear F1-D3, or a BFG Drag radial, just better (a relative term) than what was there before.

I'm very disappointed in post #45. I don't know who was hyping my springs and AGX's as the cat's ***-- I wasn't. Further you didn't give my springs a chance, you tried them with one shock and ironically went to a set of springs that are stiffer, heavier and have sagging issues. Why not try my springs with the Bilstein? I have no issue with what the poster in #45 did beyond implying that my springs aren't very good because they didn't live up to hype he perceived to be there. I sell Bilstein, in fact I sell Bilstein's with better valving in the rear than SLP's or HD's (basically all the same in front) because current HD's are more like deCarbon valving than any time in past--and I hate that.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 06-08-2009, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I sell Bilstein, in fact I sell Bilstein's with better valving in the rear than SLP's or HD's (basically all the same in front) because current HD's are more like deCarbon valving than any time in past--and I hate that.
Im curious to learn how your revalved bilsteins work and what makes them better(not being a smart *** here, I just want to know) and can these revalves handle a lowering spring. And its just the rears that are revalved, with the fronts remaining the same?
Old 06-08-2009, 04:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Revalves and strano-spec shocks are different. I don't do revalves anymore because of cost, time and frankly hassle. The Bilsteins' I sell use a different rear shock (same front) as what most others sell. They were valved heavier a few years ago, I just use a rear I feel if better matched (and more like an old production valving).
Old 06-08-2009, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just got back from your site. The ones you speak of are the $435 ones?
Old 06-08-2009, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01CaMMMaro
if yall want Sam's opinion just search it because there are countless threads of him going over differences in shocks.
Didn't know I wanted it.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 94Z28-MSTGKLR
Didn't know I wanted it.
last I checked yall meant you all which is plural... your not the only one posting in this thread. Someone on page two said he would be interested to hear Sam's response... you should really think before you type.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

That's them.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Didn't know I wanted it.

Should those that have an understand beyond "I like this" not be able to add a little technical knowledge and explanation in with the random opinions? It is LS1TECH.com still, ain't it?
Old 06-08-2009, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Should those that have an understand beyond "I like this" not be able to add a little technical knowledge and explanation in with the random opinions? It is LS1TECH.com still, ain't it?
Thank you Sam
Old 06-08-2009, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

It doesn't state anywhere that any of the bilsteins' are suited for lowering springs, besides the slp ones which is a minimal drop.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wasn't trying to be an *** guys. Keep your pants on!
Old 06-08-2009, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wasn't trying to be an *** guys. Keep your pants on!
tell my girlfriend that, she keep pullin mine off
Old 06-08-2009, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker
It doesn't state anywhere that any of the bilsteins' are suited for lowering springs, besides the slp ones which is a minimal drop.
True. It doesn't say anywhere where they are. However the slp ones are designed for a slight drop, which in my opinion is not much less than the pro kit. It has been said numerous times by people that the kyb's are much more suited for lowered cars as opposed to the bilsteins. I don't see it having owned both now, and 98% of the research you will find here will tell you the same. That and I would expect to replace something such as shocks after a few years and several thousand miles. Even konis won't last forever. They are a wear item.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

True. It doesn't say anywhere where they are. However the slp ones are designed for a slight drop, which in my opinion is not much less than the pro kit. It has been said numerous times by people that the kyb's are much more suited for lowered cars as opposed to the bilsteins. I don't see it having owned both now, and 98% of the research you will find here will tell you the same. That and I would expect to replace something such as shocks after a few years and several thousand miles. Even konis won't last forever. They are a wear item.
they might not but they do however have a lifetime warranty!

Quick Reply: AGX's out and Bilsteins in!!!