Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

stock rotors suck with 16 inch wheels???

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 10:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question stock rotors suck with 16 inch wheels???

01 Z28, w/ stock 16" rims.
anybody else have the problem with a good braking action when car is cold, but then it appears that the rotors are warped after the car has been driven awhile? When they heat up after being driven, the car jumps around a lot when braking. I have heard that the Zs are infamous for this and that buying 17" wheels to enhance air cooling of the rotors makes a hell of a difference. thoughts? suggestions?

Old 11-09-2003, 07:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buying a decent set of rotors will fix the problem. No need to change wheels. Brembo OEM rotors work great for me and you may want to try Hawk HPS pads. The improvement will be pretty impressive.

My thoughts....
Old 11-10-2003, 12:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock rotors warp very easy.
I replaced mine with a set of iRotors, and put Raybestos ceramic pads on the front, Raybestos metallic pads on the back, and now it stops better than ever.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I switched over to Brembo rotors with PBR metalmaster pads on the front about a month ago and I'm happy. Initial bite isn't as good as I'd like, but there's no fade from rapid highway speed stops (highway speeds for me being 75-85mph). I don't know how they'll perform in a racing environment, but I'll find out at my first AutoX next spring. I may jump up to the Hawk HPS pads myself depending on the outcome, but for regular street driving, the PBRs works very well.

I do get a good amount of brake dust buildup on the wheel after only 1-2 weeks of driving, but it cleans off easily enough, and having a black car, I need to wash it almost once a week as it is.

Quick Reply: stock rotors suck with 16 inch wheels???