Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Popping noise during cornering from rear suspension (Spohn Lower Control Arms?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 12:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popping noise during cornering from rear suspension (Spohn Lower Control Arms?)

I am having the strangest issue where when I take a hard turn, I hear a horrible pop sound come from the rear suspension somewhere. It happens on both right and left turns.
I know its not the rear cause I replaced my 10 bolt already with a Moser 12 bolt. But I did hear something very similar to this right now before some older Spohn Lower Control Arms failed on me. This was over two years ago now. And I replaced them at the time with new Spohn Lower Control Arms.
I am simply at a lost about what could be making this noise. My panhard bar is a Spohn, and my rear sway bar is a BMR with Energy Endlinks. My torque arm is still stock currently.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:49 AM
12 Second Club

You might want to try to torque the bolts on thr LCA and panhard rod just to make sure its not that. If the bolt is even a little under it could cause a popping sound.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by spy2520
You might want to try to torque the bolts on thr LCA and panhard rod just to make sure its not that. If the bolt is even a little under it could cause a popping sound.
I got my BMR Torque Arm to install soon, so I was planning to address the tightness of the bolts and such. Is there anything else that maybe causing the issue? And thanks for the reply.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:28 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kny3twalker
I got my BMR Torque Arm to install soon, so I was planning to address the tightness of the bolts and such. Is there anything else that maybe causing the issue? And thanks for the reply.
Check the bushings in the control arms.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 06-09-2009, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
Check the bushings in the control arms.
They are only a couple years old. What should I be looking for when checking the bushings?
Old 06-09-2009, 03:37 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kny3twalker
They are only a couple years old. What should I be looking for when checking the bushings?
Check for cracks or splits in the bushings or see if the bushings are soft. They have urethane bushings so they should be hard. Over time bushings tend to soften up.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 06-22-2009, 01:11 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the replies everyone. When I got my subframe connectors and lower control arm brackets welded this past weekend, we found the lower control arm bolts at the frame were very loose, slightly better than finger tight.
Anyways, the car feels so much better out on the road, everything tight and much more strong.

Quick Reply: Popping noise during cornering from rear suspension (Spohn Lower Control Arms?)