Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Steering gear coupling shaft.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 03:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Steering gear coupling shaft.

How hard is it to change the Steering gear coupling shaft?Do you have to move the rack a little to get it out?The steering gear coupling shaft is the shaft with the u joints that goes ftom the bottom of the steering colum to the rack and pinion.

A front end guy said that mine had some play in it.I bought another one from a part out car and figured I would install it and see if he was right.I wonder if any of you guys have changed it before.It looks like two bolts holding it in.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your signature says 2000 T/A, and I know that there was a change made to the steering column around that time ('99-'00). Having said that, however, I recently took the coupler (the part with the u-joint, that connects the column with the rack) out of my '96 car, to install a "rag joint eliminator".

I didn't have to remove/loosen the rack or the column. There was enough "slide" built into the system to allow the coupler to move up on the column, and disengage from the splined shaft on the rack.

Hope this helps....
Old 06-09-2009, 07:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The change occured in 98 with the LS1. Had to adjust the angle to clear the exhaust.

There is a bolt at the rack. Remove it and the coupling will slide up the column just enough to clear the rack stub. If you are in a harsh environment, it could be rusted in place. So it might require a little persuasion ... not too much as you don't want to break the sheer pin.

But I'm curious ... this is the first "loose" coupling assembly I've ever read about. Any insight as to why it's loose?
Old 06-09-2009, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I tried to move it with my hand with the steering colum locked to see if it had any play
and it seemed ok.It doesn't seem to have any play in it to me.This front end guy was comparing the feel of the steering on my friends 2000 t/a to mine and he said their was some play in it.The steering in the front has always felt a little mashy to me.My buddies car is a little tighter than mine.I don't know how to explain what I don't like about it.I figured that I would change it out and see if it helps.
The car was originally driven 50k miles from the first owner in Chicago.I expect
this to be a little difficult to remove because or the elements that this car was exposed to.I am also going to take the car to another front end and alignment shop that my buddie goes to and see what he thinks.I will let you know what happens.Thanks guys
Old 06-09-2009, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL ...

I would put a socket on the bolts that hold the rack in place and see if you can tighten them a little.

What you just described sounds like what happened to me.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I removed the bolts tonight and tried to get it off.Boy was that it a hassle.The bottom of the shaft were it mates to the rack was frozen on.I sprayed liguid wrench on the shafts
and pushed and pulled with my hand from the bottom and top of the car.After a while I noticed that it came up from the botton about a half inch.Sprayed it a couple more times
and pulled on it some more and finally got it off.Man does this require some patience.I cleaned the shafts on the rack and bottom of steering colum with a little bit of emery
and lubed them.I had to play with the replacement steering gear coupling shaft to get it back in.What a pain in the *** ,but I finally got the thing back together.I will drive the car tomorrow to see if it helps.Thanks to all you guys,for all your help.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I test drove the car other day on the freeway and in a canyon.The steering feels
tighter(less spongy).It deffinately feels better.The front end guy was actually right.I checked the one I pulled out and car and couldn't tell anything.When I went to the performance shop I deal with and told the mechanic what happened he said "Ya Bob is the man,he's the best.I was supprised.Anyway I like the way it feels a lot better.I hope this helps somebody out.

Quick Reply: Steering gear coupling shaft.