Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

understeer q?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 12:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default understeer q?

Whats the best way to get rid of understeer in my car? right now the car only has eibach pro-kit springs and KYB 8-way shocks plus the slp 1LE sway bar up front

Last edited by Tdawg; 06-05-2009 at 01:02 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

try a Shock tower brace, SFCs and better tires. our cars naturally have some understeer because of all the weight up front
Old 06-05-2009, 01:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
try a Shock tower brace, SFCs and better tires. our cars naturally have some understeer because of all the weight up front
sorry forgot to mention those things, i am running the hotchkis STB, UMI sub-frame connectors, and added the new nitto NT05s, still having a bit of understeer
Old 06-05-2009, 01:15 AM
TECH Veteran

the only 2 things i can think of would be a Watts link in the back and weight reduction in the front. Battery relocation, Ac delete, etc
Old 06-05-2009, 01:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

where would be the best area to do a battery relo to?
Old 06-05-2009, 01:22 AM
TECH Veteran

the spare tire area or anywhere in the trunk really
Old 06-05-2009, 01:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The easiest...more throttle!
Old 06-05-2009, 02:03 AM
TECH Veteran

a clutch kick also does the trick
Old 06-05-2009, 02:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Raise the tire pressure in the front and lower it in the rear
2. Adjust the rear shocks to a firmer setting
3. Adjust the front shocks to a softer setting
4. Larger rear sway bar

What's the size sway bar you have up front? It might be too big compared to your rear bar.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

I cannot believe the responses that have been posted here to fix understeer. Those are the most ridiculous "fixes" I have ever read.

You car needs ADJUSTING, not more parts thrown at it. SFC, STB or even better tires will NOT change the balance of the car. It will change the balance in your checking account and tires might mask the problem.

But understeer will still be there

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
1. Raise the tire pressure in the front and lower it in the rear
2. Adjust the rear shocks to a firmer setting
3. Adjust the front shocks to a softer setting
4. Larger rear sway bar

What's the size sway bar you have up front? It might be too big compared to your rear bar.
The only post with any real data ... although changing the shock settings to help the oversteer will just move the problem to somewhere else.

If the car is understeering, you need to change the effective spring rate to make the front rate more closely match the rear.

You can do that by a laundry list of ways, like the batmobile dood suggests.

Changing air pressures. Do you realize that 1psi hot change in air pressure can move the effective spring rate by as much as 10in/lbs?

Changing rear spring rates is probably the easiest way. Go to places like daymotorsports.com or pitstopusa.com and order a set of rear single pig-tail springs, typically under $50 each, and exchange the rears. I suggest an 11" x 175in/lb spring and use the isolator.

Or, go to a bigger rear bar - smaller front bar. I would probably chose a bigger rear bar as your front spring rate is too soft to begin with.

If you are "feeling" understeer, then it is massive. The only way I can tell if the car is understeering is with a temperature probe and looking at lap times.

It gets to a point where 1/2 psi adjustments in air pressure is what it takes to podium or load and go home.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Changing rear spring rates is probably the easiest way. Go to places like daymotorsports.com or pitstopusa.com and order a set of rear single pig-tail springs, typically under $50 each, and exchange the rears. I suggest an 11" x 175in/lb spring and use the isolator.
So i've got a couple questions. First off what should the O.D. of the springs be? and considering the area that i'm living i cant really lower the car much more than what it already is. It has the stock SLP 1LE springs on the back at the moment of course with the KYB 8-way and adj PHB and adj LCA's along with the slp 1le sway bar out back (i believe its a 21mm bar, but not to sure). so what height should i go with on the springs?

same with the front, i was talking with a tech from hotchkis at the goodguys show this last weekend and they suggested some coil-overs for the front matched with a 750 or 800/lb spring?? would that help out??

i have pics of the car in my fquick page below.

i apriciate all the advise, please keep it coming
Old 06-05-2009, 12:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Where are you experiencing understeer by the way? Autox or track?

PS.. I would strongly be selective toward who's advice you consider valid on this subject. MitchNtx knows what he's talking about.

Last edited by z28bryan; 06-05-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
I disagree on the STB and SFC's. Those aren't going to do much to combat understeer.

I would say that our cars come from the factory with understeer with the stock alignment. Maxing out camber, caster, and going with a reasonable toe = 0 will put more traction to the front tires around turns. You might even get better tire wear over the stock alignment with this alignment spec.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tdawg
So i've got a couple questions. First off what should the O.D. of the springs be?

so what height should i go with on the springs?
Leave the fronts alone ... for now.

OD is 5 1/2". I would get a 12" free height spring if ground clearance is an issue.

And unless you purchased a rear sway bar, it will be a 19mm. The ONLY year a 21mm was offered on a 4th gen was in 93.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by z28bryan
I disagree on the STB and SFC's. Those aren't going to do much to combat understeer.

I would say that our cars come from the factory with understeer with the stock alignment. Maxing out camber, caster, and going with a reasonable toe = 0 will put more traction to the front tires around turns. You might even get better tire wear over the stock alignment with this alignment spec.
Very good points ...
Old 06-05-2009, 03:22 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

I think the whole thing up to post #10 is hysterical. Mitch's post is pretty accurate, but way premature.

Let's see, I've not seen where the shocks are set, what size the tires are, what the pressures are, what the alignment is. All things of CRITICAL importance, and that's just the start.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 06-05-2009, 03:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Where are you experiencing understeer by the way? Autox or track?
Still wanna know the answer to this! I know a lot of novices in autox yank the wheel full lock and wonder what they can do to the suspension to make themselves turn. I usually tell them driver mod.. take an instructor
Old 06-05-2009, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

Still wanna know the answer to this! I know a lot of novices in autox yank the wheel full lock and wonder what they can do to the suspension to make themselves turn. I usually tell them driver mod.. take an instructor
Best post all day!

Sorry for not contributing but.. yeah that was funny!

Negative camber might help!
Old 06-05-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I think the whole thing up to post #10 is hysterical. Mitch's post is pretty accurate, but way premature.

Let's see, I've not seen where the shocks are set, what size the tires are, what the pressures are, what the alignment is. All things of CRITICAL importance, and that's just the start.
I figured the since OP didn't know how to adjust for understeer, those questions would go unanswered.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sam Strano

Well right now like i said the shocks are KYB 8-way adj. they're set at 7 up front and 8 out back. The alignment is set at 2 deg. negitive camber i believe with just a little toe in. I have 275/35/18 NT05s up front and 295/35/18 NT05s out back, the guys from hotchkis tried to help at the track with tire pressure, i lowered the front tire pressure to 35 psi and the back to 37 psi, it helped with my times.

Last edited by Tdawg; 06-05-2009 at 10:03 PM.

Quick Reply: understeer q?