Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Squeaking front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 10:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaking front suspension

Just purchased an 01 Z28.

It's got a squeak from the front drivers side. I read about the clunks in the front end and possible problems, but this is certainly no clunk.

The squeak occurs over bumps/dips, and is audible when turning the wheel when my PS pump isn't working at full speed.

Any ideas?

My thought is ball joints, any way to determine if it is ball joints? And any tips/suggestions for changing them out on my own?
Old 06-10-2009, 01:41 PM
Teching In

I have the same squeek and I'll tell you its the control arms, ball joints,sway bar etc bushings all being bad. Summit sells an energy suspension bushing kit for $145 that will cover every suspension bushing minus the torque arm and phr. It will have what you need to get rid of that squeeking.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Clean and grease the C clamps on your front sway bar. Very common issue that people chase.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lower ball joint replacement cured that same problem I had.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:14 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by thunderdan74
Lower ball joint replacement cured that same problem I had.
That's what a friend said it was.

Got out today and tried to jack the car up on the jack point, well, the plastic snapped and pushed the fender out a bit.

Any other places to jack the car up? I need to change the plug wires out anyway and need under the car.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gunit

Got out today and tried to jack the car up on the jack point, well, the plastic snapped and pushed the fender out a bit.

Any other places to jack the car up? I need to change the plug wires out anyway and need under the car.
I use my subframes so can't help there but definately grease your c clamps on the front swaybar before chasing this problem. Should only take about 20 to 30 minutes and is likely your problem. There is also a metal bracket connected to the passenger side of the swaybar that can come loose.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gunit

That isn't a jacking point....also being that the tab actually says not to jack there. Always put the jack on a solid structure item....on these cars use the boxed portion of the subframe or the area w/ the bolt protruding from where the lower A arm meets the K member.

Quick Reply: Squeaking front suspension