Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

corvette suspension conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You talk about "aero cars". Why would you build a racecar without aero? My TA has a stock underbody, but a wing that createts 300lbs of downforce at 100mph.

BTW, if you start lifting BOTH wheels, you are going to have ZERO traction for accel. Even the best diff needs some friction on the inside wheel to transfer torque.

I think it's going to take quite a while to make that rear work well. I've never heard anyone proclaiming the wonderful handling manners of a T-bird. I wasn't aware that anyone even raced them. It may end up working, it'll just take a while, I think. Heck, Audi made diesel work in a racecar, and it only took them about 50 years!

I do have one more question, though. Live axles are better on accel, because they don't have camber gain when weight is transferred to the rear. IRS is better when a bump is encountered on one wheel and only affects that wheel. How often are you hitting bumps (large enough to tilt a live axle such that contact patches on the opposite tires are affected) with one side of the car per lap? And, how often are you accelerating per lap?
Old 06-19-2009, 01:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram
You talk about "aero cars". Why would you build a racecar without aero? My TA has a stock underbody, but a wing that createts 300lbs of downforce at 100mph.
Oh wow, 300 whole pounds! That's amazing!
I'm being sarcastic. A formula one car generates enough downforce to drive them upside down. That's what I mean by an aero car. In order to keep the spring from compressing fully at speed the spring rates are super stiff. Kind of like a 2000lb spring on the front of an F-body. Way too stiff to be drivable on the street.
Why would you build a racecar without aero?
Rules.
BTW, if you start lifting BOTH wheels, you are going to have ZERO traction for accel. Even the best diff needs some friction on the inside wheel to transfer torque.
That's what I was saying in my last post.
Some race cars run spools, not diffs.
I think it's going to take quite a while to make that rear work well. I've never heard anyone proclaiming the wonderful handling manners of a T-bird. I wasn't aware that anyone even raced them. It may end up working, it'll just take a while, I think.
Yeah, they were raced, but they're not exactly performance machines. That's doesn't mean the rear suspension is at fault, though. I happen to own a 97 T-bird daily driver and let me say, for stock shocks, springs, alignment and skinny cheap tires, they grip the corners scary fast. I mean damn, I spent a lot of money getting my TA to handle better and this stock cruiser almost matches it's cornering speed. It kind of pisses me off, buy hey - put that IRS under the TA and we should be kicking some real ***.
I do have one more question, though. How often are you hitting bumps (large enough to tilt a live axle such that contact patches on the opposite tires are affected) with one side of the car per lap? And, how often are you accelerating per lap?
I daily drive my ****. (When I'm not doing custom work to it)
Old 04-06-2011, 06:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has been done a few times on the third gen site I am a member of, the 3rd and 4th gens are basically the same in the rear underneath.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/su...uspension.html

I am also considering it.

I would also agree that the cobra IRS is complete crap. I am a Ford tech and have driven countless Cobras and Mustangs, including a '00 Cobra R, that IRS SUCKS! Most of the guys that really "drive" those cars switch them back to solid axle, at least Ford was smart enough to use the same mounting points for both suspensions.

Last edited by 87350gta; 04-06-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

Covered:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-camaro-6.html

my car has one also

Quick Reply: corvette suspension conversion?