Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

please help me with my shocks n coils

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 09:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help me with my shocks n coils

i got 4 new gabriel ultra shocks and 4 binstien coils instaled in my car which replace my delphin models, man a backyard mechanic installed them and now it sounds like crap, its worst then my stock ones. i was not there when i installed them. it drop my car 1.25 inch also. everytime i hit a bump or crack in the streets my car hits something very very hard and annoying sorta like a metal sound. it never done this before and my ride is not comfortable at all. i feel like im in a 4x4 truck. also its very very bouncy, my car is going up n down in the freeway. it was never like that before. my car sounds like a bolder hit the bottom of my car, (its very bad in the back rear). im very mad that i paid money for new shocks n springs and made things worst. now either my mechanic did a bad job installing them or i got rip off from my shocks n springs. can anyone give me some tips of how i can fix this problem so that my 02 camaro ss can ride smooth n go through cracks with out having a nasty loud dumping noise in my car. now if the mechanic installed them right n my shocks are working well, can there be in other part in my car that can cause this? (maybe a internal thing that has to do with my alienment or suspension bar) anything at all ?
Old 06-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Teching In

also is there any recommendations for a low price for some nice shocks n coils to make my car smooth, i dont need racing ones, just ones that makes me ride smooth down the streets of los angeles
Old 06-12-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I just went through something similar....

What probably happened is your shock/strut mounts in the front are worn out, but he put them back on anyway. I did on my driver side and like you it feels like I'm in a truck and it bangs around alot. Ask him if he put new ones on or used your originals.

For the back, not sure. I do know when you lower you need to get some stuff adjusted to get the rear sitting straight.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:50 PM
Teching In

i just checked them and there brand new, he put new shocks and coils springs
Old 06-13-2009, 12:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by draklon13
i got 4 new gabriel ultra shocks
theres your problem. you lowered your car with these crappy autozone shocks. you should get the slp bilsteins off of summit. $313 plus shipping for all 4.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:02 PM
Teching In

whats the website that sells them for that price?
Old 06-13-2009, 02:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by draklon13
also is there any recommendations for a low price for some nice shocks n coils to make my car smooth, i dont need racing ones, just ones that makes me ride smooth down the streets of los angeles
You have some of the worst shocks with some lowering springs, you should not be surprised the car rides the way it does. Go back on stock springs with some good shocks and you will be happy.

Quick Reply: please help me with my shocks n coils