Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

best alternate to koni's????

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 10:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default best alternate to koni's????

hey guys i have an 02 SS and its my daily driver car and i want a really good handling setup and it might see some autox or road courses here n there in the future. Right now i just want to get some shocks/ springs ASAP. I know the koni's are the best out there, but i dont really care about having a nice smooth ride i just want something that will handle pretty good. Right now im thinking the agx's would work good, any one agree with this or think i should get slp bilsteins? Btw I will be using strano springs. thanks alot!
Old 06-15-2009, 11:13 PM
Teching In

Talk to Sam and tell him your plans. He will help you get set up.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:12 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mastercoryd
hey guys i have an 02 SS and its my daily driver car and i want a really good handling setup and it might see some autox or road courses here n there in the future. Right now i just want to get some shocks/ springs ASAP. I know the koni's are the best out there, but i dont really care about having a nice smooth ride i just want something that will handle pretty good. Right now im thinking the agx's would work good, any one agree with this or think i should get slp bilsteins? Btw I will be using strano springs. thanks alot!
Konis aren't about a smooth ride.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

Strano Bilstein package
Old 06-16-2009, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
Konis aren't about a smooth ride.
Umm ya they are... they are about everything pretty much, they adjust to your liking
Old 06-16-2009, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

whats the difference in cost between stano Bilsteins and konis? and is that worth the price, is what you need to ask yourself
Old 06-16-2009, 08:21 PM
Launching!

i won't be able to afford koni's to their off sale, so it will be like a good 500 dollar difference
Old 06-16-2009, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If I had to do it all over again and was in your position I would do the Koni's with stock springs. Use the lower perch on the fronts and hose mod the rear.
Reason is the Koni's are that good and once you have them your way ahead of the game.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:18 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1W66
If I had to do it all over again and was in your position I would do the Koni's with stock springs. Use the lower perch on the fronts and hose mod the rear.
Reason is the Koni's are that good and once you have them your way ahead of the game.
Don't you have the Strano springs? Any gripes with them that would make you lean towards using the stock springs?
Old 06-17-2009, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Don't you have the Strano springs? Any gripes with them that would make you lean towards using the stock springs?
Yes I do and I have no complaints. I got what I wanted and saved the money for it mainly because I didn't want to be doing the job more then once. (basically did it right the first time).

But being that he's looking at alternatives and wants to do both shocks and springs but doesn't want to buck up for the Koni's I would do the koni's only.
Because you can buy the Koni's first and install them. Then at least you have the big ticket item out of the way and the best quality dampers that will work well with any spring. JMO
Old 06-17-2009, 10:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

Bilstein fronts and Koni 3rd gen rears are another option.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

some people like KYB's and some people like Bilsteins... I think those are your only two options. Bilsteins spec's are not tuned for aftermarket lowering springs, KYB's are. Also KYB's are adjustable. Just depends what you want honestly, youll hear some people liking the bilsteins and some liking the KYB's.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I completely agree with LS1W66.
I too have Sams springs and swaybars along with the konis, and did them all separately one at a time. The konis made the biggest difference by a long shot, and I would much rather be on stock springs with konis than on strano springs with a lesser shock because of the control and balance you would have with the konis. They let me utilize the stock suspension to its fullest instead of having the finicky, nervous handling thats hard to control because the shocks cannot control the car. Think of the dampers as being the foundation to the suspension, would you rather build your big house on a weak foundation, or build a smaller house on a strong foundation?
Old 06-17-2009, 04:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
I completely agree with LS1W66.
I too have Sams springs and swaybars along with the konis, and did them all separately one at a time. The konis made the biggest difference by a long shot, and I would much rather be on stock springs with konis than on strano springs with a lesser shock because of the control and balance you would have with the konis. They let me utilize the stock suspension to its fullest instead of having the finicky, nervous handling thats hard to control because the shocks cannot control the car. Think of the dampers as being the foundation to the suspension, would you rather build your big house on a weak foundation, or build a smaller house on a strong foundation?
Oh, I completely agree with you. I was just curious as he was recommending the Konis w/ stock springs when I thought he had Strano springs.

I've got a set of 4/4s and Strano springs on order so just waiting.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh, I completely agree with you. I was just curious as he was recommending the Konis w/ stock springs when I thought he had Strano springs.

I've got a set of 4/4s and Strano springs on order so just waiting.
JD, Myself and probably several others on here are big advocates towards the Koni's. The Simple answer is that quality dampers will make the most significant change to the cars ride, handling and composure regardless what springs you have.

Quick Reply: best alternate to koni's????