Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI bolt-in LCA relocation brackets moved rear back 1/2" *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 10:50 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the guys that are having issues with their relocation brackets at stock height? What are the benefits of running these at stock height? I always thought these were intended to be used on cars with lowered suspension. Which leads me to my other question; are lowered guys having issues with these brackets?
Old 06-25-2009, 10:57 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

I'm lowered on DMS springs with hose mod. Konis in the rear (still waiting for the fronts), and I had no issues with the UMI bolt-on relocation brackets with stock LCAs.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Maybe just call Jerry here at the shop and let him explain it before you do the install. Its not hard, but you don't want to just "throw them on quick"

Here is a few tips- Loosen up all (4) control arm bolts, loosen the torque arm at the rear end and loosen the sway bar end links. This will allow the rear end to pivot easier. Do NOT force the rear end back or forward to make the brackets line up. Read the instructions and follow them, they will explain to position the rear end so the control arm lines up with all holes before installing the the bolt. Too many people force the rear end back or forward to get the bolt in.. this is what moves the rear end off center.

We did an install yesterday on a 2000 with these brackets. The brackets lined up perfect and the rear end did not move at all. I will post some pics next week... we are out the rest of this week for a product show.

Thanks!
Ryan
Thanks man, i will run them w/most of the suspension modds, i will contact you when i start installing
Old 06-27-2009, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

I am lowered on Strano/koni and installed these last night with no problems. I did how ever miss the part about cutting off the ebrake bracket and forced that bastard back on lol maybe i will cut it off when i do my sway bars.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

Now that I look at my rear wheel it does look like it is moved back a little bit but I can not feel any difference while driving the car. I wonder if this will cause any problems down the road??? I do not have a vibration like you... This sucks i don't want to take them back off after I just put them on last night.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:46 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by extinctls1
Now that I look at my rear wheel it does look like it is moved back a little bit but I can not feel any difference while driving the car. I wonder if this will cause any problems down the road??? I do not have a vibration like you... This sucks i don't want to take them back off after I just put them on last night.
It shouldn't have anything to do with vibrations - the only job of the LCA is to position the axle front-to-rear.

I wouldn't worry about it too much honestly. As long as the tire isn't contacting the body at any point, I'd roll with it.

Something like that might become an issue if you ever wanted to run a 28" tire out back...those things really fill up the wheel well, so you'd have to make certain the wheel/tire was centered to keep from rubbing the body.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm no drivetrain expert and don't claim to be, but having the yoke not as far in the transmission tailshaft could have problems down the road, or it might not. This was the main reason I took mine back off though.

extinctls1, you can check to see how far it moved back by jacking up the car and looking at the yoke as it goes into the tailshaft housing.....however much "shiny" metal is now showing on the yoke is how much it moved back.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:15 PM
12 Second Club

Honestly on my current car and my last car the wheels had a little more space in front of them than behind them. I dont think the wheels are perfectly centered to begin with.

As i mentioned earlier, i measured 2 3/8" in front of the rear wheels and behind them i am 100% sure it was slightly less than 2". This was before i installed the brackets.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:10 PM
Launching!

I had a set of weld-in brackets installed on my car this past week, and I'm having the exact same problem. I went over in detail with Jerry on how to correctly install these...remove the rear sway bar, loosen the torque arm mounts, in order to take tension off the rear end. Installed one at a time. I had the shop doing the welding leave the stock LCA in the bracket when they welded it, thinking that would make sure it was 100% correct. My car was still at stock height, and the stock LCAs fit both positions on the relocation bracket, but I could instantly see that the rear end had been shifted. I put the car up in the air, and checking where the driveshaft mates to the transmission, I could see at least 1/2" of "shine"; the passenger side wheel is also farther back than the driver side. Just last night, I installed a new torque arm,TA relocation kit, PHB relocation, adjustable PHB, and adjustable LCAs. With everything adjustable, I should be able to realign everything to perfection, but I'm still at a loss as to why these brackets would shift the rearend back when I made sure every detail of installation was followed to a T.

Here's pictures, with just the LCA relocation brackets and a completely stock suspension:

Driver Side:

Passenger Side:

Old 06-28-2009, 02:30 AM
On The Tree

Ok I will jack it up tomorrow and see how the DS is looking, I am driving back home to Ohio from SC on Monday so I guess i will find out on the drive up there. Hopefully when i put my Torque Arm on it straightens out. Mine looks almost the same as csxfbirds
Old 06-28-2009, 08:31 AM
12 Second Club

Damn your **** is pushed way back.

Originally Posted by csxfbird
I had the shop doing the welding leave the stock LCA in the bracket when they welded it, thinking that would make sure it was 100% correct.
It makes sense "in theory," but just because the top hole is lined up doesnt mean the rear isnt "rocked" backwards or forwards slightly. So while the original hole was lined up, the two bottom ones could have been maybe 1/4" in front of where they needed to be.

If you mean the LCA was in the bottom hole then i can see it being bad brackets.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by spy2520
Damn your **** is pushed way back.

It makes sense "in theory," but just because the top hole is lined up doesnt mean the rear isnt "rocked" backwards or forwards slightly. So while the original hole was lined up, the two bottom ones could have been maybe 1/4" in front of where they needed to be.

If you mean the LCA was in the bottom hole then i can see it being bad brackets.
Yea, that's what I meant...at least, I told the shop to mount the LCA in the lower hole and then do the welding, and the welder says that's exactly what he did.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:49 PM
12 Second Club

I have an umi torque arm as well and the tip bearly comes out the mount. i guess its time to take off the relo. brackets
Old 06-28-2009, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

This is the first time I have ever had a problem with UMI, I did what the instructions said to a T. Hopefully when i put on my T/A I will be able to fix this.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:44 PM
Launching!

I just spoke with Ryan at UMI, and based on the pictures, he says that the reason for my rearend shift is indeed due to an incorrect installation. The shop did not angle the brackets correctly (they should be rotated farther forward, and therefore, I'm experiencing the rearend shift.

I don't want anyone to start thinking that there's any problem with UMI's product, as it appears most of the problems that have arisen around here recently are a result of installation procedure and not bad brackets. The rest of their products that I installed fit perfectly.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by csxfbird
its hard to directly compare because i have the bolt-in ones, but mine come all the way forward to the point where the bracket almost interferes with the shock mount. Its shown clearly in this picture that you have a few degrees to go before they are where mine are lined up at.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:43 AM
12 Second Club

ok i got some crappy pics for comparison, you can see mine are up forward a little bit more than yours, not as much as i thought though.

You cant really tell from the pictures, but these bolt-on ones are wrapped around kinda tight, the obviously wont go back any further, but they dont really wanna move forward either. There is only a little bit of room to play with once they are in position.

edit: Heres a slightly clearer picture from the angle you got.'

Its more clear now, the back of your brackets is pretty much inline with the stock LCA mount, mine is tilted towards the front of the car slightly at the bottom.

Last edited by spy2520; 06-29-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:52 AM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your rear-end moves back with the weld-in ones, it has to be an installation error. If you have the bolt-in ones I'm going to say it's a different story as the shock mount part will determine positioning.

On the pics above, I'm thinking your weld-in brackets needed to be rotated back more to keep the rear centered. On my 12-bolt, the flat part on the back of the bracket is parallel with the back part of the stock mount.

Remember, being off by only 1/2" will show up as 1" when measured at the wheel well opening.

Quick Reply: UMI bolt-in LCA relocation brackets moved rear back 1/2" *pics*