Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BMR, is there any problem in how my weld in LCA brackets were done?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 01:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMR, is there a problem in how my weld in LCA brackets were done?

I took my car to the welder from Wolfe racecraft, and he welded the brackets (back face of the brackets) to the original brackets on my 12 bolt (back face of the 12 bolt brackets) as well as on the sides. Then he adjusted the lower control arms for the new increased distance. He spent several hours doing this (basically all Saturday between the subframe connectors and this), and the included instructions were less than clear. Now a couple days later after reading some posts, and apparently the brackets were suppose to be welded at the top of the weld-in bracket and the bottom of the original bracket on the rear end. I mean I thought it looked kind of strange after he got done welding it, but thought he read the instructions and is a professional welder. So how fucked am I? Obviously, the bracket is not in the correct position. And now that I am thinking about it, the benefit of the lower control arm mount is somewhat lost, since the brackets are rather slanted backwards, rather than upright. So what are my options? I am guessing that cutting the weld off will destroy them and possibly my original bracket on the 12 bolt??? Are my control arms now in the position of being damaged from the increased length?

Last edited by kny3twalker; 06-23-2009 at 03:24 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:37 AM
TECH Resident

Since I still am in disbelief over this. I have thought of maybe a solution. Is it possible that the LCA bracket could be cut off up to where the original mount is on the 12 bolt then order a new set of brackets, cut the tops off of those brackets, and then weld the cut brackets to the (now reinforced) original brackets.

The picture above should give an idea of what I mean. The red line are the two cuts that would need to be made. Would this be strong enough once welded?
Old 06-23-2009, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like you might have quite the mess on your hands....give me a call here at the office and I will see what can be done to correct the install.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for BMR for helping me out in my situation. It really sucks to have to trash a brand new part, and I appreciate you all making it a little easier to replace them.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:28 PM
TECH Resident

Aaron over at Wolfe racecraft corrected everything yesterday. Although I did not have a chance to get any paint on the brackets before welding, everything looks great. Aaron cut the misaligned brackets off and then ground the welds. We use a stock control arm to line them up, and Aaron welded the new brackets on.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

good to hear. good luck.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:29 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Great im glad to hear that everything is ok now.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Quick Reply: BMR, is there any problem in how my weld in LCA brackets were done?