Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Corvette Calipers Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 06:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Corvette Calipers Questions

Conflicting info on search, so Ill ask the questions:

Can you replace the front LS1 fbody calipers with 2000 corvette calipers and retain the Fbody brake pads and mounting brackets? I have new (fbody) pads and a one caliper is giving me trouble.

Aside from looks, do the corvette calipers offer a better or more consistant pedal feel. I know about the whole pressure cast issue and stiffening ribs on the corvette part, but is this noticable outside of an autocross?

Does the difference in caliper piston size 40mm vs 44mm cause a real world effect on braking? I know it should cause more rear brake bias, but is this more theory than reality?

Id like some real first hand experience if possible. TIA
Old 06-23-2009, 06:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 864 Likes on 660 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I believe that can be done without issue.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jclz28
Conflicting info on search, so Ill ask the questions:

Can you replace the front LS1 fbody calipers with 2000 corvette calipers and retain the Fbody brake pads and mounting brackets? I have new (fbody) pads and a one caliper is giving me trouble.

Aside from looks, do the corvette calipers offer a better or more consistant pedal feel. I know about the whole pressure cast issue and stiffening ribs on the corvette part, but is this noticable outside of an autocross?

Does the difference in caliper piston size 40mm vs 44mm cause a real world effect on braking? I know it should cause more rear brake bias, but is this more theory than reality?

Id like some real first hand experience if possible. TIA
YES!

C5 brake calipers with F-Car abutment brackets and rotors along with brake pads for an F-Body have been on my road race car since 2007. NO ISSUES!

They offer better performance in my situation because they are not as prone to spread.

Brake performance is more in the pad/rotor/fluid combo than what caliper you use at this level. You would need to step up into exotics before you would begin noticing a difference.

For street use ... the stock F-car calipers are a great caliper.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchntx
YES!
C5 brake calipers with F-Car abutment brackets and rotors along with brake pads for an F-Body have been on my road race car since 2007. NO ISSUES!
Please excuse my ignorance, but I have C5 (Z06 for the visual effect) brake set-up on all 4 corners.......are you saying that I can go with Camaro brake pads rather than the Corvette pads?
Thanx.

Last edited by fxgs; 06-24-2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fxgs
are you saying that I can go with Camaro brake pads rather than the Corvette pads?
Thanx.

Originally Posted by mitchntx
YES!

with F-Car abutment brackets and rotors

The arc of the rotor hat, abutment bracket and pad are slightly different.

Quick Reply: Corvette Calipers Questions