Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

HPS pads, stock rotors, angled pads, questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 03:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default HPS pads, stock rotors, angled pads, questions.

I have a set of stock pads and the stock rotors/calipers on a 02 ws6 LS1 Trans Am.

I pulled the stock pads from the front and they measure much thicker on one side then the other. I figured one of the pistons in the two piston stock calipers is slacking off as the rotor thickness is good all the way around.

My question is, can I install Hawk HPS pads on the stock rotors? I've read hit and miss comments on rotor "bedding" with different types of pads but haven't been able to find any hard facts on a manufactures website or anywhere else.

Who has run HPS pads on the stock rotors without turning them or replacing them? Is this Kosher? I'd love to plop down 380 for a set of brembo blanks but money is tight.

I'd like to avoid turning the rotors, I guess I could always go to the dealership and buy a new set of stockers instead of turning them though..anyone know how much that runs front and rear?

***EDIT*** A concern of mine is blowing money on new stock rotors then having the HPS warp them...
Old 07-01-2009, 07:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use HPS pads on my car, but I don't use stock rotors. However, if your rotors are in good shape and are not warn down to the discard thickness you can just do a pad swap and follow the proper beading procedure

HOWEVER your tapered pad issue could be the result of having a spread caliper, or sticky guide pins, or sticky caliper piston. Therefore I'd strongly suggest you get to the bottom of the tapered pad wear issue first before putting expense pads on the car.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I pulled both pistons out and cleaned the cylinders and the boots. The brake fluid was pretty shot. Then I cleaned some more and reassembled, is there any way to test the caliper before I load the hawk pads to see if it's functioning correctly?
Old 07-01-2009, 09:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Go get a set of el-cheapo Autozone pads and use them as the Guinea pig. Bead them properly and then put some "hard" and street safe miles on them then inspect. When autocrossing pad taper as a result of spread calipers showed up less than 5 events (about 30 miles). On the street it could take a few hundred miles.

If the pins and pistions looked ok on your rebuild, I'd guess that you may have a caliper spread issue.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Did you clean/regrease the caliper pins?

Quick Reply: HPS pads, stock rotors, angled pads, questions.