Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Another Bump Stop question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 02:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another Bump Stop question

I know it is a very over played subject but I still don't really know what to do after reading all kinds of threads.
Ok so here it goes, I have a 99 TA lowered on Sportline springs(I know not good but its what I got). I am gettin the hard bump in the rear when I hit just about anything. I believe it to be the bump stop, so I am wondering what is the best route to go?

I have seen cut, removed, poly, and rubber bump stops. What should I do? If you recommend a bump stop, I would greatly appreciate a link. Thanks guys
Old 07-02-2009, 03:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

First, the bumpstop spacers have been removed, correct?
If not try that first.
Second, what condition are the bumpstops in ?
If they're in good condition you can cut then down 1" shorter, or try some Energy Suspension pt#9.9137, which are about 3/8" shorter than stock.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the most comfortable bump stop is going to be a rubber triangular shaped one. Rubber is softer than poly and the triangular shape gives a little more cushioning compared to the blunt shaped SS/WS6 bumpstops. You should check to make sure your stock bumpstops haven't disintegrated to a blunt shaped one.

In my opinion with sportlines you shouldn't be messing with the bumpstops. Maybe with a more appropriate springrate for an extremely low ride height you could mess around with it a little, but I still wouldn't do it personally. Excess suspension travel causes you to risk bottoming out the piston inside the shock. It depends on the shock too. MitchNtx always mentions custom rate springs that you can get.. I'm not sure if they are supposed to be used for the Ground Control adjustable axle perch or if there's standalone springs that you can get for this car? I'm not claiming to know the ranges you can venture into with the rear shocks. Though with a poor design spring such as the Sportlines, I don't think making too much bumpstop modification would be a wise decision.

Sportlines are for people who only care about looks. You sacrifice ride quality and good suspension movement with Sportlines. Ride quality is subjective. If you get them and don't like the ride quality, don't say we didn't warn you.

Quick Reply: Another Bump Stop question