Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Gotta fix that damn break squeak....

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Gotta fix that damn break squeak....

I have my front left squeaking all the time. When you press the pedal firm, but not hard, you get a squeak every time. Press it hard and its gone. Does it all the time under normal driving.

The pads are Napa Safety stops which are not ceramic BTW plus I have LS1 brakes.

I am convinced its not the friction material making the squeak, I think its the pad backing where it engages the caliper mount or the pistons. The thin metal plate is on the backs of the two pads. I have tried lubing the pad backings as well. Nothing has helped.

There are a couple of bare metal spots on the pad backing so this must be where it is coming from.

What can i do short of replacing the pads, which are rather new.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:40 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

It may not be the pads. I had the same issue with bad wheel bearings. They squeked like a brake when braking under light pressure.

My OEM hubs/bearings lasted me 75K miles, which is consistent with what a lot of other people have posted.

To check yours, you need to take the caliper and rotor off. Turn the hub by hand and if you feel or hear any grinding, you've found the issue. (They should be smooth as slik.)