Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI Sway Bars anyone ???? or other Brand??

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 11:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default UMI Sway Bars anyone ???? or other Brand??

Just looking for some feedback on the New UMI sway bars. I know they are a relitively new item at a great price. I want them for my daily driver 2000 Z28 which i race at the dragway 2-3 times a year. Also what other brand would you recomend??? Thank you for the info!
Old 07-09-2009, 02:16 AM
TECH Addict

I have the new UMI bars. Made a big improvement in my car.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Strano hollow sway bars on my t/a.Sam Strano is the man.They kick ***!
Old 07-09-2009, 10:25 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Of course I'm biased, but I'd recommend my bars--but you can do it two ways:

1. A set of Hollow front and rear. Size 35/22mm (1-3/8" and 7/8") non adjustable.

2. Hollow front, 3-way Adjustable (solid) rear bar.

Biggest reason: You're looking @ about 20 pounds less for the full hollow set than compared to set of solid bars.

The reason to think about option 2: You will still save weight vs. front and rear solid bars because the bigger front bar is still hollow. What you gain is a rear bar that acts like 3, which is great for those that like to make changes and/or want a stiffer rear bar for launching at the drag strip (so the car leaves straighter), but that don't want that much rear bar for handling (massive rear bars make for oversteer).

The adjustable rear basically is a 22mm bar that can be made stiffer, in fact up to about the same stiffness of a 25mm (1") rear bar... but you aren't made to settle for one or the other (and there is a setting in between too).

No, they aren't as inexpensive as solid and/or non-adjustable bars, but then they are a good bit less expensive than say a set of Hotchkis bars (and fwiw, I sell all the brands mentioned other than my own). We also use tough, tough hardware and bushings and as silly as it sounds there are kits that use hardware and/or bushings that don't deal well with big bars.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 07-09-2009, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have had the new UMI set onmy car for about a week. It made a drastic improvment over my stock T/A equipment. Sure they weigh more, but I couldn't spring for sam's set at this point and I wanted something better, they deliver. I have discovered since then that my new limits are my front riken tires, which are bargain tires and not really up to the task of the kind of turns the car can handle. For the price right now I don't think there is much better bang for the buck.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:56 PM
11 Second Club

aprox how much do the umi bars weigh over the stock bars??? I am not that worried about the weight.Just looking to carve the tuns alittle better. I have a sub amp spare tire and jack in my car so whats a few more lbs...
Old 07-09-2009, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

UMI makes great stuff I have there full suspension on my car
Old 07-09-2009, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

I just got UMI bars this week and I absolutely love them. I don't really have anything to compare to, but you can really notice the difference from stock. You can defiantly notice the front one is heavier when installing it, but I can't guess by how much. Obviously the rear is heavier too, but not as noticeable.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i have Eibach, dont know about the weight, i went with them cause i have Ebach springs,, deff better than stock
Attached Thumbnails UMI Sway Bars anyone ???? or other Brand??-123.jpg  
Old 07-10-2009, 07:12 AM
FormerVendor

Thumbs up UMI Performance!

Originally Posted by BKDZ28
aprox how much do the umi bars weigh over the stock bars??? I am not that worried about the weight.Just looking to carve the tuns alittle better. I have a sub amp spare tire and jack in my car so whats a few more lbs...
Hello
It is great to hear that everyone is happy with UMI Performance's New sway bars. I just figured that I would chime in here and leave everyone know the weight over the stock sway bars.

Stock front is 12lbs (WS6 & SS) 32mm, everything else is 30mm
New Front is 27lbs and 35mm

Stock rear is 8lbs (WS6 & SS) 22mm, everything else 19mm
New rear is 10lbs and 22mm

Take my word for it once the new sway bars are installed its like driving a whole new vehicle.

Thanks
Brad
Old 07-10-2009, 10:17 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hello
It is great to hear that everyone is happy with UMI Performance's New sway bars. I just figured that I would chime in here and leave everyone know the weight over the stock sway bars.

Take my word for it once the new sway bars are installed its like driving a whole new vehicle.

Thanks
Brad
Close to correct but there are some things that aren't right above.

First, most cars have a 19mm rear bar, not 21's. GM never made a 22, and 21's only went on the back of 1993 1LE's and 2001-2002 Bilstein Ultra Suspension cars. A stock 19mm rear is about 6 pounds. Not a ton of difference from 6 to 10 until you consider it's all unsprung weight... and that not only can you not gain weight--you can lose it (as a hollow 22 is 5 pounds it's a featherweight). And fwiw, anyone who's put heavier wheels and tires on and noticed the ride get worse knows what unsprung weight is, and should understand why it's not ideal to be adding...

Front bars are correct, just adding the fact that a 30mm bar is about 2 pounds less than the 32mm bar (and all GM fronts are hollow).

Note, that I sell UMI's bars--and they sell mine too. I used to do/make solid bars but frankly hated dragging the weight around, and frankly the lighter bars are less cumbersome to install too.

Either way the balance is there, we do use different hardware. FWIW, the bars are not made by the same company. And I worked very hard to make sure that the second gen front bar also clears the tabs on the convertible K-member too.

Bottom line if you want to save some money and aren't adverse to the higher unsprung weight, or dragging around the equivilent mass of a front brake rotor in the car all the time, great. At $319/set they are a very good value and certainly I agree with the sizing since well, I've been using that sizing for years (and was the first one). This is why I carry the UMI bars: http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=126&ModelID=7

If you want to save yourself a tangible amount of weight, on the order of 20 pounds, drop unsprung weight, and get that weight out for not a million dollars then my bars are the recommendation. http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=126&ModelID=7 Yes, Strano Performance bars cost more, because hollow bars cost more to make. Also the hardware and bushings we use is more expensive and that's cost that can't be swallowed. However, when compared to the only other set of hollow bars (Hotchkis, which I also sell), the price is pretty of the Strano bars falls pretty much in between the UMI and Hotchkis.

And fwiw, my bars are what we use to win National Championships. The development of the sizing and the balance front to rear is derived from the autocrossing which is all about handling. And the last thing I'll add is that with the hollow bars we use wall thickness to manipulate how stiff the bar is, in actuality the balance of a set of solids vs. a set of Strano Hollow is slightly different (because I wanted a lighter, slightly softer rear bar). A hollow 22 is more like a solid 21 in stiffness than a solid 22. Now, 1mm might not sound like much--but it's about a 15% difference in stiffness given the size, and wall thickness I use. So it's not just weight, but balance front to rear as well.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 07-10-2009, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hello

Thanks
Brad

My guess was right on, I picked up the front bar and decided it was probably heavier than the front and back stockers combined. That thing is beefy. My handling is vastly improved though, so I'm happy with it.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:16 PM
11 Second Club

Wow! Now thats some serious information! Thank you very much Sam for taking the time to explain the differecne between the two! You have definetly earned my business when I make my purchase. Your knowledge seems endless when it comes to suspensions! Thanks again Bryan

Last edited by BKDZ28; 07-11-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:49 PM
TECH Resident

I just bought that set. Money was deciding factor for me, just couldn't budget for the stranos as much as I wanted them. I'm in the middle of a suspension overhaul right nowl. I'l let you know how they feel after I get them on.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BKDZ28
Wow! Now thats some serious information! Thank you very much Sam for taking the time to explain the differecne between the two! You have definetly erned my business when I make my purchase. Your knowledge seems endless when it comes to suspensions! Thanks again Bryan
Yeah..i think i'm sold on them too....eventually
Old 07-11-2009, 06:18 PM
Launching!

I just purchased a set of UMI sway bars too.I understand the difference between the two bars, but I don't I dont race.Just looking for something better to replace the stock bars.The extra weight versus the extra money.Hmmmmm.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:27 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

New BMR sway bars on the way.

Lighter, stiffer, less cost...definitely worth the wait!!

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302
Old 07-12-2009, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BMR Fabrication Inc.
New BMR sway bars on the way.

Lighter, stiffer, less cost...definitely worth the wait!!

Probably some Strano copies, just like the springs.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:47 AM
11 Second Club

how long is the wait 1 month ....1 year????
Old 07-13-2009, 01:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, I guess.

And fwiw, if/when someone else "come up with" hollow bars sized like mine, it won't be like I didn't call it a few months ago.... I did and I will point that out when/if it my ideas are borrowed again. Just putting that on record.

Strano bars and UMI bars are both in stock....take your pick. I have Hotchkis too.

Quick Reply: UMI Sway Bars anyone ???? or other Brand??