Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

True Coilovers ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 07:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Coilovers ?

I was just wonder what my options for these are. I know LG makes a very nice product but I'm not even aware of anyone else ???

Ps. I've tried google

EDIT:

Sorry it's for a 4th Gen F-body.

Last edited by Thyme_CA; 07-19-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

global west and ground control also make coilover kits. the LG stuff is nice but pricey and the spring/shock valving is best for open track not autox
Old 07-16-2009, 09:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

QA1 also has a coilover setup. You can check them out at Byunspeed.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:06 AM
Launching!

heres were i got mine for autox and full road race email jason and tell him jesse sent you
http://www.unbalancedengineering.com/Camaro/
thats the link kinda $$ but there the best coil kit
Old 07-16-2009, 12:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

KW makes Variant 3's for the 4th gen: http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=20&ModelID=7

Split Double Adjustable dampers (separate compression and rebound damping), Coil-over front, adjustable perch rear (not coil-over shock, but height adjustable with the ability to change rates. In fact, I don't think a true coil-over rear is very smart, the shock and the shock mounting area of the body were never intended to carry the sprung weight of the car.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 07-16-2009, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Might want to say what kind of a car the coilovers would be going on.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:24 PM
Banned

anyone make good rear coil over? i would love to do all four corners
Old 07-16-2009, 12:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

See my post #5....

What is so special about having all four corners be coil-over? I don't get it, enlighten me.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 07-16-2009, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sam is right. Not only was that area never meant to carry the load, but it's on different sides of the axle. The stock spring perch is on the rear of the axle, and wants to tilt the axle backwards. All the suspension points are designed to counteract this.

The shock is on the front. If you put the spring up there, it will want to twist the axle forward, which is reinforcing what the suspension is doing.

However, if you are bent on doing coilovers in the rear, I'd look into putting the coilover where the springs currently are.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram
it's on different sides of the axle. The stock spring perch is on the rear of the axle, and wants to tilt the axle backwards. All the suspension points are designed to counteract this.

The shock is on the front. If you put the spring up there, it will want to twist the axle forward, which is reinforcing what the suspension is doing.
Interesting. Learned something new
Old 07-16-2009, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ground Control makes "weight jackers" which are what is needed to get the adjustable ride height in the rear. Using them also allows our cars to use off the shelf stock car springs which can be had for $50.00/ea.
Attached Thumbnails True Coilovers ?-img_0155.jpg   True Coilovers ?-img_0010.jpg  
Old 07-17-2009, 06:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw some pictures, a LONG time ago, where Doug Rippe Motorsports was running a coil-over on the rear of a 4th gen. It was in place of the regular shock. I wasn't sure how that would work out, as I didn't think the unit structure was designed to take that kind of load in that particular location.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
See my post #5....

What is so special about having all four corners be coil-over? I don't get it, enlighten me.
sam ,
i dont want it cuase it is special. i want to clean my *** end up. i got a show car. so i am getting MWC rear end and doing a watts from Eric. in the process i will delet the spring mounts. so the rear will look very clean.

and for all the other comments. if they werent a good idea. people wouldnt do them. hell i found out strange and Spohn both make a kit.

i was thinking of buy those Sphon weld in plates and then strange springs and shocks.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Big_Bird_WS6
and for all the other comments. if they werent a good idea. people wouldnt do them.
I know you didn't just say that. People do stupid things EVERY DAY. Check out the "removed front swaybar and now my car sways" thread.

They can be made to work. But, you have to understand what's going on and take steps to correct the new set of problems that are created.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:59 PM
Banned

^^^ lol. yeah i know. just wanted to put a little spice in my comment. lol people do do stupid ****.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:40 AM
Launching!

Are coilovers good for dragracing or are springs better?
Old 07-18-2009, 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

Weight jackers? Great idea, looks like a quality piece! Oh my, $459 at JCwhitney!!!
Old 07-19-2009, 11:00 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
KW makes Variant 3's for the 4th gen: http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=20&ModelID=7

Split Double Adjustable dampers (separate compression and rebound damping), Coil-over front, adjustable perch rear (not coil-over shock, but height adjustable with the ability to change rates. In fact, I don't think a true coil-over rear is very smart, the shock and the shock mounting area of the body were never intended to carry the sprung weight of the car.
Never thought of that, good point. How good is the KW stuff ?

Also I can't get globe West stuff because they don't ship to Canada as far as I know ...
Old 07-19-2009, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

I just installed the ground control co's on my car with koni 4/4's, Fairly easy to install and you can specify spring rates (big plus for me im an auto-xer and i mess with my stuff a little bit) .. Great customer service as well.. Ive been dealing with them for a long time and they have never let me down.

P.S. if you go with konis you need a special tool to get the front tophats off so the coilover sleeve will fit onto the shock.. Or you can hack it up.. I used the first method.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TrakJunky
I just installed the ground control co's on my car with koni 4/4's, Fairly easy to install and you can specify spring rates (big plus for me im an auto-xer and i mess with my stuff a little bit) .. Great customer service as well.. Ive been dealing with them for a long time and they have never let me down.

P.S. if you go with konis you need a special tool to get the front tophats off so the coilover sleeve will fit onto the shock.. Or you can hack it up.. I used the first method.
Im confused on this. Can anyone explain. I thought coilovers where something different from koni's

Quick Reply: True Coilovers ?