Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What suspension parts to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 11:32 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What suspension parts to replace?

Hello Again. Posted earlier about brakes, I figured a separate post for suspension would be in order.

Car is a STOCK 98 TA. 93k, and last owner had it for most of it's mileage. All suspension is original. So.. It's time to consider replacing stuff. I want the car to stay stock-ish, since I'll likely sell it within a years time (damn mortgage payments and needing to put more money into "savings"). With that mindset, I dont mind upgrading from stock, just nothing too extravagant or expensive.

That being said .. what should i replace? Just shocks, springs, and maybe sway bars? I'd appreciate some input/feedback on the following:

Shocks: car is a DD, street-only. I want some comfort, or at least nothing too aggressive, since the roads around my house are pretty crappy.

Springs: I dont NEED the car lowered, but i'm not against it. Again: the car is a DD, some spirited driving, but nothing special.

Sway bars: replace them at all? If so, it's not gonna be with stockers.

Thanks guys!
Old 07-19-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sway bars never wear out. if they do, you broke them. just replace the normal wearing parts. springs also usually dont wear out. its the shocks that make the right bad. try bilsteins to work with stock springs. replace all the bushings, ie: sway bushings and links, front and rear. if theyre really bad, the a-arm bushings. the LCA bushings might also need to be replaced. get poly everything, and look for the moog replacement LCA bushing. it IS the 1LE spec part.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
sway bars never wear out. if they do, you broke them.
Umm yep, true. Been there. No idea how but mine was broken off
They rarely break though, so odds are just the end links need replaced and those don't cost much.

If you're staying pretty much stock, your stock springs are probably fine. Inspect them to be sure they aren't cracked anywhere, but you can probably reuse them and just put new shocks in. You'll need a spring compressor to replace the front shocks as they are a coilover setup.

When you replace the front shocks, plan on replacing the rubber upper shock mounts. They are probably worn and probably stuck to the shocks, and may tear out when removing them from the shocks. Get the Moog upper strut mounts from advance auto (part number K6517 for passenger side, K6516 for driver side). The insulator piece (trapezoidal shaped) that sits inside the top of the shock mount is probably fine and reusable. Even on my car with all the rust on top of the shocks and stuff the insulators were OK.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:23 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up UMI Performance!

Hello
Another good suggestion for something to replace is look into a set of new lower control arms and pan hard bar. Seeing how they are just stamped pieces you will eliminate a lot of your flexing and wheel hop. Below is a link to show you what all UMI Performance has to offer as far as rear suspension packages.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...7ckubcsrhelu16

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 07-20-2009, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would start with a good set of koni shocks.Then maybe sway bars and possibly a
Watts Link.