Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BMR torque arm install problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009 | 07:56 PM
Staging Lane

Default BMR torque arm install problems

I've done a search but couldn't find an answer to the problem I'm having with a BMR torque arm. It seems the rear of the torque arm will not fit over the stock rear end of my 00 Z28. It seems as though BMR didn't place enough clearance in the rear of the arm. I've tried everything I can think of including lowering the rear end to make more room to clear the body of the car and it still doesn't fit. It seems like the torque arm was manufactured incorrectly. The car is stock height and I have the non adjustable torque arm. If anyone can offer any solution as to why the TArm won't go over the stock rear I'm all ears.
Old 07-21-2009 | 08:27 PM
Launching!

Maybe post pictures to help what you are describing. I just installed my BMR adjustable TA with no issues.
Old 07-21-2009 | 08:32 PM
Staging Lane

I'll try but its difficult because the torque arm will not stay in place, thus you would have to hold it with one hand while trying to take a pic.
Old 07-21-2009 | 10:10 PM
Staging Lane

Looks like I found out why the BMR TA won't fit. The stock rear end is 5 7/8 inches wide. The stock TA is 6 inches wide at the rear mounting bracket. The BMR TA is only 5 3/4 inches wide at the rear mounting bracket. There is no way the BMR TA will fit.
Old 07-22-2009 | 06:16 AM
Launching!

Contact BMR and tell them the situation. They are good people and will help you out.
Old 07-22-2009 | 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Give us a call here at the shop and I am sure we can figure out a solution.

All of our brackets are laser cut and CNC formed in batches 100's at a time so a single isolated incident of a bracket not being to spec is not very likely but not totally impossible.
Old 07-23-2009 | 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

mine was tight, a slight beating with a hammer got it started,
Old 07-23-2009 | 02:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by metalmechanic
Yup, same here.
Old 07-23-2009 | 02:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by metalmechanic
I did the same w/a rubber hammer not to chip the powder coat!!!

Also w/the car on jack stands I put a floor jack under pinion & jacked
up about 1" to get correct alinement!
Old 07-24-2009 | 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

Lee and BMR took care of everything. I called Lee and explained my situation. Without any delay or problems a new torque arm was sent out and the other is on its way back to BMR. The new torque arm went on without any problems at all! Install is now complete. I can't wait to test it out tomorrow. My opinion is that BMR is an oustanding company that understands customer service and appreciates the customer. Lee at BMR was more than helpfull and took care of the problem immediately! I recommend anyone that is thinking of buying parts for their vehicle contact BMR or go to their website. The customer service doesn't stop as soon as your payment clears, and thats something I appreciate from BMR.

Thank you Lee and the team at BMR!
Old 07-25-2009 | 03:06 PM
On The Tree

Wink WoW!

So odd that your arm was so far off spec! Great that you were right on the manufacturing being off.
Tho up on a lift with the crossmember off, and the wheels hanging, I just installed the same non adjustable arm on my ride last week, along with a new GM "clamshell".

Had to tap the front of the torque arm tube towards the rear, and it eventually lined up, etc.

Best of luck with your setup!
Old 07-29-2009 | 06:03 AM
Teching In

Its nice to see a company stand by there products and fixed a problem fast.
Old 07-29-2009 | 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z16kalel
Lee and BMR took care of everything. I called Lee and explained my situation. Without any delay or problems a new torque arm was sent out and the other is on its way back to BMR. The new torque arm went on without any problems at all! Install is now complete. I can't wait to test it out tomorrow. My opinion is that BMR is an oustanding company that understands customer service and appreciates the customer. Lee at BMR was more than helpfull and took care of the problem immediately! I recommend anyone that is thinking of buying parts for their vehicle contact BMR or go to their website. The customer service doesn't stop as soon as your payment clears, and thats something I appreciate from BMR.

Thank you Lee and the team at BMR!

Thanks I appreciate it the factory rear end casting does vary slightly(in this case .120") which is why the factory arm is so wide to account for these factory variances.

The one thing the GM has working in its favor is the stock torque arm is so flimsy it will tighten down on the rear end housing no problem no matter how much difference there is on the rear end housing so they purposely over size the opening in the arm.
Old 07-29-2009 | 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TRANS-DAD
I did the same w/a rubber hammer not to chip the powder coat!!!

Also w/the car on jack stands I put a floor jack under pinion & jacked
up about 1" to get correct alinement!
thats what i had to do
Old 04-10-2011 | 03:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by z16kalel
I've done a search but couldn't find an answer to the problem I'm having with a BMR torque arm. It seems the rear of the torque arm will not fit over the stock rear end of my 00 Z28. It seems as though BMR didn't place enough clearance in the rear of the arm. I've tried everything I can think of including lowering the rear end to make more room to clear the body of the car and it still doesn't fit. It seems like the torque arm was manufactured incorrectly. The car is stock height and I have the non adjustable torque arm. If anyone can offer any solution as to why the TArm won't go over the stock rear I'm all ears.
i am having the exact same problem i was about to start cutting the rear end and shave it down an 1/8 of an inch to get the bmr ta to fit
Old 04-12-2011 | 10:46 AM
Launching!

It'll go! just show it some rubber hammer love!!
Old 04-12-2011 | 10:49 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

If you continue to have issues getting the torque arm to work give us a call at the shop and we can get you all squared away.

Kyle

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 04-16-2011 | 02:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
If you continue to have issues getting the torque arm to work give us a call at the shop and we can get you all squared away.

Kyle
BMR = AWSOME customer service, got me a new TA piece that fit right on thank you guys!!

Quick Reply: BMR torque arm install problems