Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front end "creaks"

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 08:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end "creaks"

I have a creaking noise in the front end of my car and I can not find where it is coming from.
I have changed all the front end bushings I have checked the front sub frame mounts (bolts) all the tie rod ends are tight all the ball joints are tight the only thing i have not changed is the front struts and mounts. Has anyone else had this 'creaking" problem? It is really starting to **** me off but I don't know what else to do!
it does it when I put the car in gear, when I accl. or come to a stop if I back up kind of fast and hit the brakes and it will do it when I turn sharp basically if I make the suspension "travel" it will do it but going down the road normal it will not do it
HELP ME!!!!
Old 07-28-2009, 09:32 AM
FormerVendor

Have you check the sway bar end links? I assume you have...but, just checking. Try popping off the front sway bar and going for a drive. If nothing else you can positively eliminate one potential source.

Also, what kind of bushings did you replace the stockers with? Poly?
Old 07-28-2009, 09:55 AM
TECH Addict

If your new bushings are poly, they have to be greased or the will creak.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:45 AM
10 Second Club

+1 for the front sway bar.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:56 AM
Staging Lane

I did replace with poly but the reason I replaced them was to try to get rid of this noise and it's still there
I will take a look at the end links I guess that is the other thing I didn't replace but I did replace the sway bushings on the frame
Thanks guys
Old 07-28-2009, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

still looking for suggestions??
ttt.....
Old 07-28-2009, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Poly bushings tend to make some noise, id make sure it isnt the new bushings
Old 08-08-2009, 05:03 AM
Teching In

I had a creak in the front end before too. It was my upper A arms. Try to grease the bushings on those too.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:26 PM
FormerVendor

On poly bushing you would have to cut grooves down the inside of them for the grease to sit otherwise the creaking will come back in short order.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

I have the same problem to sounds like an old door creaking open. I replaced my sway bar bushings it went away and then came back a week later took off the bushings greased them up and still have the same problem. I cant figure it out. I also have a slight low pitched sound coming from what i think is my springs but thats not to noticeable so i figure its normal. I put strano springs and koni 4/4 shocks but didnt compress the spring all the way going to fix that this weekend. But the creeking sound happens when role over a bump slow and always seems to happen after the car is driven for twenty min or more. Very VERY noticeable
Old 08-11-2009, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

By cutting grooves in the center of the bushings your saying it will eliminate the sound?
Old 08-12-2009, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Grease the D bushings or whatever they are called on the swaybar. This is a common issue. I have to grease mine about once a year.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:11 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Animal323
By cutting grooves in the center of the bushings your saying it will eliminate the sound?
It provides channels for the grease to ride in so it continually keeps the bushings lubed.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

So i took off my driver side tire sprayed every bolt and rubber piece with pb blaster. I also lubed all the bushings with grease. Im gunna take everything off this weekend and lube the sway bar bushings rite way. I put a spohn swaybar in the car and warped the bushings that came with it from overtightinig them. So i replaced them with new energy bushings and snugged them but i put the bushing in the can of grease and moved it around so i dont no if it could be the sway bushing but ill redo them this weekend. The sound was gone when i pulled in the driveway im thinking its a temparary fix. Ill find out tomorrow when i bring it for a ride. My theory is i also have koni 4/4 and strano springs on the car and im thinking when i installed the springs i may have messed up cause i didnt compress the spring when i connected the shock/spring because it cm'd to fit perfect. I was told i have to compress the springs and that would make the noise dissapear. If anyone has any insite i would appreciate it.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:04 AM
TECH Regular

LOL... Classic .. Ive replaced About everything but swaybar bushings to get rid of mine..
Old 08-21-2009, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

Guy at the auto part store thinks its the control arm bushings he gave me CRC heavy duty silicone and told me spray the control arm bushings well see what happens.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

No magic answer... Creaking is generally always some sort of bushing, be it bar or control arms--or both. Urethane will creak if it's not well lubricated with an appropriate grease, but rubber can creak to as it gets older and the rubber gets harder....

Most of the time it's swaybar bushings... The bushings we use with our 2nd generation bars are much more slippery than standard urethane and we use a teflon based grease that is super slick to try and keep this stuff from happening. If you have rubber bushings spraying them with a lube might help for a little while, but you need to lube inside the bushing, not just on the outer edge.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-24-2009, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

With concerns to Swaybar-to-Body or "D" bushings, I've noticed that lots "stock" rubber versions are prone to lots of wear due to what those bushings are supposed to do. Some of the stock rubber versions actually have some sort of "fabric" lining to decrease the friction, which I didn't find optimal compared to a poly bushing that uses a viscous fluid as a bearing. This is why it's important to keep those bushings of constantly well lubricated.

Also, it's important note that creating channels within the needed journal area of the "D" bushings doesn't necessarily help with retaining lubrication as when the bar and bushing will deflect, all the channels may serve is to just allow the grease to be purged into the channels instead of out of the bushing. From my experience, this didn't make for a significant improvement performance wise or maintenance wise. YMMV.

Quick Reply: Front end "creaks"