Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

cutting spring to lower car???????

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 08:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of you are going to need a time machine to make your response to the people in this thread
Old 06-07-2012, 08:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Mighty Whitey
Meh... I cut 3/4 of a coil off my rear springs and removed the isolators as well. Still running stock shocks, and consistently pull 1.52-1.54 60' every time at the track, front tire hanging 6" in the air.

I seriously doubt putting a "drop" spring on my car is going to improve the performance much more than it already is.
So you think you have the best optimal setup then and can't put any better set of springs and shocks to give you better times?

After reading this thread, it makes me wonder how everyone who removes the isolator, how their springs are holding in place? The isolator fits snug against a molded circular area right? Isn't that circular area quite a bit smaller than the bare spring? Won't that make the spring seat funny? If it does.. does it matter or not?

Been a while since I replaced my springs so I don't quite remember what's underneath there.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
"Drop" springs are not for drag racing, so they probably wouldn't improve your 60ft. But when people say they "perform better" they are talking about handling, because that is what lowering springs are made for.
Made for handling, yes, but 90% of ppl on here want their car lowered cuz it, "Looks cooler". I've had Stranos, LG G2 springs w/ Bilsteins, and most recently cut fronts and 1LE rears. Driving to work and back with the usual cruise to town with TTops off hasn't made me notice any differences between any of those setups, and isn't warranting enough to me to spend $800. If you want to lower your non-road course fbody by cutting coils go right on ahead IMO.

Last edited by '02 WS6; 06-08-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:33 PM
Staging Lane

I have a W-body car, and i'm thinking about cutting my springs. currently i have 1.3-.5" drop eibatch springs, and it does handle alot better, how ever with the huge "performance wheel/tire combo" it looks like a 4x4 still, and i also had to cut off and raise my rear spring perch 3/4" so the tire would clear the perch. i'm looking at getting 2" in the back gone and 1" in the front, posssibly with a bit of camber. now some valid points may have been brought up, and i do agree with them, but in my case, coil overs are way way over budget, and there is a good possibility they will not clear the tires, and i cant get a aftermarket spring that is any lower by .2-.7 of a inch. i have not much of a choice, and being these springs have a increased spring rate, my ride should not be as sacrifised. theoretically.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:43 PM
Teching In

i cut my springs... Iam very pleased with the out come. I cut them due to hearing of how some dont lower the dorp listed. and some sag. by cutting stock i could get the exact height i wanted. I cut 1 coil off the front and 1.5 coils off rear.
Attached Thumbnails cutting spring to lower car???????-t.jpg   cutting spring to lower car???????-c.jpg  
Old 06-19-2012, 08:57 PM
TECH Resident

what side are yall cutting? top or bottom?

i cut the top since i dont have a torch to bend the bottom to a small circle. is it safe to drive with the top not bent even? i'm assuming its even once the cars weight is put on it. which way am i suppose to point the end of the top spring (where it was cut / where it starts)?

from the top i cut 2 coils i believe not counting the real closely squeezed one that lays flat. i'm just afraid of the spring popping out. i want to somehow add a piece of metal to keep it attached to the car. i had a stock un-modified spring pop out of my truck once but it was at home luckily.

i cut the springs on my 97 mustang and it came out pefect but i did it so long ago that i dont remember anything. i think i did it opposite back then...i cut the bottom and had someone heat the bottom up to bend it to the small circle to fit on the control arm.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by FastRidesOnly
what side are yall cutting? top or bottom?

i cut the top since i dont have a torch to bend the bottom to a small circle. is it safe to drive with the top not bent even? i'm assuming its even once the cars weight is put on it. which way am i suppose to point the end of the top spring (where it was cut / where it starts)?

from the top i cut 2 coils i believe not counting the real closely squeezed one that lays flat. i'm just afraid of the spring popping out. i want to somehow add a piece of metal to keep it attached to the car. i had a stock un-modified spring pop out of my truck once but it was at home luckily.

i cut the springs on my 97 mustang and it came out pefect but i did it so long ago that i dont remember anything. i think i did it opposite back then...i cut the bottom and had someone heat the bottom up to bend it to the small circle to fit on the control arm.
I don't know but they better not be cutting the bottom of the rear springs because they won't seat correctly if they will seat at all if they cut the bottom. I even question cutting the top as they are designed seat flat at the top.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

in theory, the part that you cut would flatten out with weight. if you were to bent with a torch you would weaken the metal, and have even more of a drop.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:40 PM
Launching!

Very rough ride!! Will eat up tires very quick also
Old 06-20-2012, 06:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bob442
in theory, the part that you cut would flatten out with weight. if you were to bent with a torch you would weaken the metal, and have even more of a drop.
Does it really? Or does it want to seat itself on an angle?
Old 06-22-2012, 10:27 PM
Teching In

i cut bottom of front. never removed the spring and top of rear. the ride is good
Old 08-27-2012, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

^ cut all 4 in car? Cutting week I assume? Hmmmmau get the cutter out this week

Quick Reply: cutting spring to lower car???????