Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

cutting spring to lower car???????

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cutting spring to lower car???????

I was wanting to lower car 1998 camaro ss..I would like to put the money elswhere in my car..could i cut 1 coil off the springs to lower it a little?? would it hurt anything..My uncles done it to some of his older cars he has had in the past and said it works ok as long as there all cut the same but his cars were in the 60s..Feed back would be nice...Thanks
Old 07-28-2009, 11:22 PM
TECH Resident

Please don't do this. it is very hard to cut identically the same amount, and they will ride like ****. you get what you pay for, so i'd go with Strano.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:34 AM
Banned

all u gotta do is cut em and keep em cold. measure with a tape measure around to get the same on both sides. ppl say not to do this because they confuse this with just heating up the springs while in the car like they used to do. but if u cut them u will have 0 problems
Old 07-29-2009, 03:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tripps
Please don't do this. it is very hard to cut identically the same amount, and they will ride like ****. you get what you pay for, so i'd go with Strano.

Maybe if you don't measure it is hard to keep them the same..hah

Originally Posted by 2001ws6-500hp
all u gotta do is cut em and keep em cold. measure with a tape measure around to get the same on both sides. ppl say not to do this because they confuse this with just heating up the springs while in the car like they used to do. but if u cut them u will have 0 problems
+1
Old 07-29-2009, 05:42 AM
Teching In

Never use a torch a saw should be ok but its still gonna ride rough no matter how you cut it.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd just like to point out the location of these three people who support cutting coil springs: Ohio, Mississippi, and Kentucky.

J/k'ing guys!

In all seriousness I don't support the cutting spring method for one primary reason: The stock springs are soft, they need as much working length to help keep the car off the jounce bumpers when the vehicle encounters a road event and/or during spirited driving. Second, aftermarket springs are relatively cheap plus you receive the benefit of a higher spring rate.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:32 PM
Teching In

About 20 years ago before lowering spring were plentifully I used to cut mine. Like every one else said. DO NOT USE A TORCH OR HEAT. I would use a cutoff wheel. If I remember correctly. 6 inches of coil length will give you one inch of drop. So if you cut one whole coil you might be in the weeds. As you know F Bodys need extra ground clearance.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Regular

Not that it helps but people do it to their 3rd gens all the time. Theres a thread on TGO with spring rates, and how many inches cut off to recieve the wanted drop.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:40 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

As I've said before, people get all freaky about this topic ... cutting one coil gets you about a 1" drop. Did it on my M6 car. One coil off the front, 1/2 off the back + !grommet, worked great. Car rode and handled nicely on Bilstein shocks. Just do it.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:24 AM
Teching In

A f body is called a mullet mobile for a reason jk.But i have cut springs before wasn't happy after i did.I rather buy a set of lowering springs that are progressive rate so it rides smooth tell you get on it.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you cut coils you get lower and raise the spring rate.
But generally this is what aftermarket springs do, too.
So for small incremental drops I don't see the big
difference. You will want better shocks in either case.

That being said, I like the front Hotchkiss springs fine,
they are progressive and start off not too far from
stock rate. Rears, I went there and then back to stock
minus donut.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
If you cut coils you get lower and raise the spring rate.
But generally this is what aftermarket springs do, too.
So for small incremental drops I don't see the big
difference. You will want better shocks in either case.

That being said, I like the front Hotchkiss springs fine,
they are progressive and start off not too far from
stock rate. Rears, I went there and then back to stock
minus donut.
You DON'T get a higher spring rate. You are not increasing the diameter of the spring coil material. You are not increasing its strength.

If you take a spring with 5 coils, where each coil measures 1" vertically (5" total height), with a spring rate of 200lbs/in, and put it onto a car where it is supporting 400lbs, the spring will compress 2". This leaves 3" of spring travel for when you hit bumps and turn corners.

If you take the same spring, and cut a coil, you have a spring with the same spring rate, but is only 4" tall. You put 400lbs on it, and you now only have 2" of travel. Your car will be 1" lower, but have no increased resistance to bottoming out.

I'm not taking sides on whether you should or should not do it. Just make an informed decision.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:59 PM

Default cutting springs

Well thanks for the info guys..I decided to do it anyways..I figured if i didnt like it i would buy lowering springs...I cut 1 coil and 3 in off the back and 1 coil off the front makeing sure measurements were the same i did upgrade my shocks...It turned out pretty good nice and level..I got about 2 in drop looks mean but like someone said in this tread it rides pretty rough....Im not out here doing circle track raceing and if i wanted a smooth ride i would buy a catty...But later on i might consider some good lowering springs ..THANKS AGAIN FOR THE REPLIES EVERYONE
Old 07-30-2009, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow - 3 in the back? Be careful that you don't get the back end light. What I mean is don't go over RR tracks too fast, or hit big bumps at speed. Your springs may fall out.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram
Wow - 3 in the back? Be careful that you don't get the back end light. What I mean is don't go over RR tracks too fast, or hit big bumps at speed. Your springs may fall out.
i think he means 3in. not 3 coils lol...........
Old 08-03-2009, 08:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Interesting throw up pics...
Old 08-03-2009, 08:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just buy some springs
Old 08-03-2009, 09:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram
You DON'T get a higher spring rate. You are not increasing the diameter of the spring coil material. You are not increasing its strength.

If you take a spring with 5 coils, where each coil measures 1" vertically (5" total height), with a spring rate of 200lbs/in, and put it onto a car where it is supporting 400lbs, the spring will compress 2". This leaves 3" of spring travel for when you hit bumps and turn corners.

If you take the same spring, and cut a coil, you have a spring with the same spring rate, but is only 4" tall. You put 400lbs on it, and you now only have 2" of travel. Your car will be 1" lower, but have no increased resistance to bottoming out.

I'm not taking sides on whether you should or should not do it. Just make an informed decision.
You might want to read up on this, everything I see
says cutting coils raises rate. Number of (active) coils
is in the denominator of the spring rate calculation.
Basically, coils act "in parallel" for deflection per force.
More coils, more deflection, less rate.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by spaulsen
i think he means 3in. not 3 coils lol...........
I think he meant 3 inches. If you cut a spring so that the fully extended height is less than the full droop of the shock travel, then I can see how your spring could unseat itself.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
You might want to read up on this, everything I see
says cutting coils raises rate. Number of (active) coils
is in the denominator of the spring rate calculation.
Basically, coils act "in parallel" for deflection per force.
More coils, more deflection, less rate.
Yup - you're right. I finally found a place that 'splained it to me!

Now, got another question. Pasted below is a pic of a stock rear spring (on the left). If you cut the bottom coil, it won't seat on the axle properly. If you cut the top, it won't seat in the upper pocket properly. So, either way, you've got a spring that's not seating properly. How do you get away with this? The front's are the same, with a smaller diameter bottom and the top where the last coil is not coiled at the same angle as the ones below. How do you get the car handling properly?

Quick Reply: cutting spring to lower car???????