Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

I found out why no front sway-bar is bad

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I found out why no front sway-bar is bad

Ok, I have had my front anti-sway bar off of my otherwise stock suspended 98 T/A for well over a month now. Other than the added roll in curves it hasn't made a difference in my daily driving. It helped me drop into the 1.9's on my 60's. I figured all was good here.
That was until I decided to do a powerslide chasing after a '67 Cmaro this evening.I have done this exact same maneuver many times previously with no problem. MY GOD I was almost KILLED! I came sliding around the corner and my best description would be that my car went into a 4-wheeled version of a tank slapper . Flopping left to right uncontrollably.I almost smashed into the back of a mini-van at 55mph only to redirect myself toward a ditch. I am amazed I didn't wreck the damn thing.I was puckered up and my hands were moving so fast spinning the wheel back and forth I could hardly even see them.It took me over a mile of driving at 30mph to stop shaking and get the look of terror off my face.

Where the car had been a joy to powerslide previously it was now a nightmare. Witht he bar power on oversteer was easily controllable now the car just goes berserk when you try this ****.

Anyway, I figure some people might want to know this could make a bigger difference in the behavior of your vehicle than you had previously thought. Lord knows I didn't expect it to be like this.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:27 PM
10 Second Club

Yah, drove without mine unhooked a couple times, doesn't handle too well.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I drove my car for over a year without the front sway bar on and you just have to know that you can't do the stupid $hit anymore. On ramps, curves, etc. - you just have to realize what you are driving. The car is not any worse off in the daily driving portions, but when doing any kind of extreme maneuver (whether for fun or for emergency) it can cause a problem. I will tell you this - my car is much more fun now with the big sway bars all around and the lowering springs.
Old 11-23-2003, 04:19 PM
Sweet Cheeks

I took mine off because my stock endlinks broke when I put in my tubular front end. I've been driving with no front bar and I SCRAPED the **** out of my headers over a midget incline! The car doesn't compensate, it just bottoms out. I just ordered Spohn sways.