Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

My UMI torque arm broke . . .

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 09:33 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Straight off BMR's site.

IMPORTANT NOTICE TO MOSER 12 BOLT USERS: This product is only warrantable on rear axles that utilize the factory style "through bolts" to connect the torque arm to the rear end. Moser 12 bolt rear ends utilize a threaded bolt hole that has been proven to have bolt retention issues when used with aftermarket torque arms. If you have this particular rear axle, understand this warranty disclaimer and still wish to use this product, keep in mind that lock washers, or Loctite brand thread sealants are not substitutes for periodic bolt inspection.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a little added saftey you could tack weld the bolts to the bracket. Should keep them from backing out and if ever need to remove the bracket just grind off the welds.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:44 AM
9 Second Club

Or what about drilling through the bolts and putting pins or wire through both at the bottom and both at the top
Old 08-06-2009, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by darknight02
. . . my intent was not to just come on the forum and post some bash session against UMI they haven't done anything below par so far and it looks like they are going to stand behind there product.
Glad to hear. I edited the post title, to be less inflamatory. . . .
Old 08-06-2009, 01:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
The Strange 12-Bolt and Strange S60 both use the through bolts like factory does... this is a much better design, I feel at least. The Moser 9" uses the through bolt design as well, just the 12-Bolt uses the smaller bolt design. I would recommend the Strange 12-Bolt

Hope that helps,
Ryan
Thanks for the info! I only have a 6 cylinder but I'm considering doing an overhaul with a turbo/proper cam/etc and figured it would probably worth upgrading the rear since I'd need to do some work on it anyway.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:33 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
So is a Strange 12 bolt a better choice than the Moser because of this? Or do both have their pros/cons, pick your poison type thing?
If you are set on going with a 12-bolt, I would personally choose the Strange over the Moser every single time because of the torque arm bolt issue. The S60 that Strange offers is just a huge rear end that I didn't see myself needing, and the 9-inch is also pretty large, but has a pretty cool design that allows you to remove the entire center section to be able to set the gears on a bench, and also has better support for the pinion and better placement in relation to the ring gear for more strength.

There are compromises with all of them - I wanted a rear end that fit and looked like stock, and I doubt I'll ever have enough power to do any serious damage to it provided I ever take it to the track (which hasn't been for 4 years or so at this point). My second choice probably would have been a Moser 9".
Old 08-06-2009, 01:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Well I'm not set on it, as nothing is in stone (heck I just finally semi-decided what I'm doing with my car yesterday anyway). If a Moser 9 inch would be a better choice than the 12 bolt in my case then I'd go that way. I'm just figuring that the 10 bolt won't hold up long-term once I start putting out more power from the engine, so it probably wouldn't make much sense to put money into a torsen unit/gear change/whatever else for it.

Don't mean to hijack the thread... I'll start my own once I'm actually in the real planning stages.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:36 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to give you an update.

We were able to locate the users order in our system and the torque arm was 4 years old. Our warranty on products is 2 years however we did send out a new replacement torque arm this week and that should take care of the issue.

I know parts breaking can be frustrating and not something any one of us want to experience but its part of modding your car. Whether its suspension, drivetrain, engine ect items are going to break... especially under racing conditions. It is somethig us manufactures hate to see but we have to handle it and deal with it the best we can.

Thank you and have a great weekend,
Ryan
Old 08-12-2009, 10:24 AM

Default new arm!

todoay I was very pleased to see my fed ex man, he was delivering the new updated arm that UMI sent to me free of charge!
i have to say that the guys over there really helped me out and backed there equiptment. nothing but good to say about them! i would only wish other manufactures would use them as a gage for there own quality and customer support!

thanks again!
Old 08-12-2009, 04:51 PM
12 Second Club

Glad you got fixed up with a new Tq arm-UMI service is awsome from what I seen. But I do own a Moser 12 bolt also and offer a fix. Ive posted many times showing a solution to it. Hav pics in my profile. Heck I should send UMI one of my hardware setups to offer if they want one. I dont have time to machine them is all. But this arm didnt break at the mount like usuall-or maybe I see it wrong. I do agree Moser had 20 yrs to make the 12 bolt more factory friendly. but it is what it is.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:03 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tillery
Glad you got fixed up with a new Tq arm-UMI service is awsome from what I seen. But I do own a Moser 12 bolt also and offer a fix. Ive posted many times showing a solution to it. Hav pics in my profile. Heck I should send UMI one of my hardware setups to offer if they want one. I dont have time to machine them is all. But this arm didnt break at the mount like usuall-or maybe I see it wrong. I do agree Moser had 20 yrs to make the 12 bolt more factory friendly. but it is what it is.
You are absolutely correct the bolts had nothing to do with why the torque arm broke. When the bolts brake it generally brake the torque arm mounting bracket, not the torque arm itself.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 08-12-2009, 07:40 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
You are absolutely correct the bolts had nothing to do with why the torque arm broke. When the bolts brake it generally brake the torque arm mounting bracket, not the torque arm itself.
Just to clarify, UMI never said the 12-Bolt broke this torque arm. Early I did mention it could contributed to it but that was it.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 09-13-2009, 04:41 PM
Teching In

Default the floorpan broke your bar

you have to trim off the two outside holes 3/8 inch from inside holes and use the inside holes. not a direct fit on moser must customize but does fit. fist bump in the road would break or at least here it bang on bottom . I noticed this when I went to put mine on it was touching the tunnel (backbone) of the floor pan .
Old 09-13-2009, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
Wow...
Old 09-14-2009, 08:00 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by formulal98
you have to trim off the two outside holes 3/8 inch from inside holes and use the inside holes. not a direct fit on moser must customize but does fit. fist bump in the road would break or at least here it bang on bottom . I noticed this when I went to put mine on it was touching the tunnel (backbone) of the floor pan .
Hello
First welcome to LS1 Tech! A lot of the times you will have to make some clearance in the tunnel area just due to the fact that a aftermarket torque arm mount is bulkier. And when you do use a Moser Rear just trim off enough to get the clearance that you need.
Thanks
Brad

Quick Reply: My UMI torque arm broke . . .