Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

how do you center the rearend on a f body

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 09:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you center the rearend on a f body

with a adj. tq arm and adj. panhard bar. My buddy just installed it and was wondering how to center his rearend with these parts.
thanks, Tom
Old 08-06-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

You only need one post rather than multiple over the same subject. Especially when the answer to this is easily found by using the search button.

Panhard centers the rearend. TQ arm does not. Control arms control center of wheels in the wheel wells.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:09 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Panhard centers the rearend. TQ arm does not. Control arms control center of wheels in the wheel wells.
Hello
He's Correct! But you will need adjustable components! What you can do is find the center of the wheel and tape a piece of string to the fender and measure out from the lip of the wheel and adjust until the wheels are the same measurement! Below is a link to show you what all Rear Suspension Packages UMI Performance has to offer!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...qiliqlbenh5677

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 08-07-2009, 08:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

To actually center it, the car needs to be supported on all four wheels, so either on a lift or sitting on four ramps, blocks etc . . .

Tape a plumb bob on each quarter panel. Can be as simple as a string with washers tied to one end as a weight.

Measure the distance from the same point on the wheel to the string, on each side.

Adjust until the distances are equal.

Torques arm does nothing to "center" the axle . . . .

Last edited by Xsta Z 28; 08-07-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:27 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Xsta Z 28, described thr procedure perfectly. Our tech dept is open mon-fri 8:30 am -6:00 pm est if you ever have any questions on install procedures or about any of BMR'S products.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 08-08-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently did it just as Xsta described it. Its SO much easier to do with an on-car adjustable PHR!!
Old 08-08-2009, 10:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

ditto thanks XSTA, I cant wait to get my UMI Adjustable PHB, Relocation Brackets on the car. Just waiting for my shocks.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone have a picture? haha.

also, an alignment rack can be used as well, right?
Old 08-10-2009, 07:13 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by svg210
ditto thanks XSTA, I cant wait to get my UMI Adjustable PHB, Relocation Brackets on the car. Just waiting for my shocks.
Hello
Thanks for the business with UMI Performance! Its good to hear that you are excited and I am sure that you will not be disappointed in the performance of our products. If you or anyone has any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks
Brad
Old 08-10-2009, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

FYI - centering by using the fenders as a reference will get the rearend centered relative to the BODY. If you measure from the inner fenderwells to the wheels, and center it that way, you will have the rearend centered relative to the CHASSIS. The first way gets you a car that "looks" good, the second gets you one that "handles" good.

When I did it the "fender" way, I rubbed tires on the right side, above the bump stop. When I centered the rear using the inner wells, I no longer rubbed.

Reason is that no 2 cars are the same. It's essential for driveline components to line up, so the tolerances on those are pretty small. But, it's not a huge deal if body panels don't line up. So, tolerances on those are larger.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NVR_SPDS
I recently did it just as Xsta described it. Its SO much easier to do with an on-car adjustable PHR!!
I agree I have a on car adjustable. So easy put the plumb bobs up and keep moving it until the gaps are even.

Quick Reply: how do you center the rearend on a f body