Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Callin Mitch & Trackbird !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 10:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Callin Mitch & Trackbird !!!!

Hey ya'll it's Kev the Cop...

The Camaro made it's debut yesterday at 4:00 pm for patrol. The speed and performance, as far as acceleration and handling (THANKS LOU & LG Motorsports...All the suspension goodies ) But...chased down 3 crotch rockets at 150 MPH and when it came to brake time.....SCARY!
I received my new iRotrs and a set of Larry's CARBOTECH pads but never had the chance to put them on before driving the car for the first day. I also wanted a chance to see how the factory stuff did in my own opinion. Wow, what a scare. I am pretty sure that I warpped the rotors after that little incident as the next 2 stops were accompanied by a major shudder and shake routine.
As for the median diving, I am glad I didn't lower the car any. Even driving through the median at 10 MPH is a nerve rattler.
Anyways, Ok...my questions. Do ya'll think the slotted fronts along with the Carbotechs are gonna help much ? Lou suggested a major upgrade to the C5 13 inchers for the front. As money comes available, do you think this would be the plan? Should I try and get the stainless braided brake lines as well?
I know we likely covered this before but, I was so interested in going fast I forgot the cardinal rule: It's fine to go really fast....but ya gotta stop sometime!
Just for ya''s entertainment, It's also very exciting when you are comming up behind someone at a buck 30 and they suddenly slam on their brakes....total test of driving and fear factor !
Fire away please.
Kev
Old 11-21-2003, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man, no matter what I do, the Police are always looking for me.....

Glad to hear the car is working well (mostly).

As for brakes. I was running Carbotech Panther Plus pads on all corners and could make 135mph to 0 stops back to back as fast as I could get to 135. They make some noise and lots of dust and are not real "cheap", but they work. I use Brembo OEM rotors with those pads and have had no warping issues. I could modulate the abs at 120+ mph by wiggling my toe. The addition of brake ducts may make them nearly perfect (run ducts from the driving light holes to the front rotors). So, they would probably do well for you for now.

If they don't prove to be good enough. I'd look into the kit from LG Motorsports for the 13" front brakes. They will be a reasonable upgrade from stock, generate more brake torque (caliper is farther out from the rotor) and handle extra heat. I know you guys are hard on brakes and everyones lives depend on them working, every time. I think either solution would benefit your situation.

As for braided lines, I'd get top quality replacement hoses (stock hoses) and use them. This info may be helpful:

http://www.carbotecheng.com/faq-other-q3.htm

Since I know that patrol cars are beat on daily and not torn down after every "track event" like a race car, I think I'd pass on the braided lines. But that is my opinion.

I hope that helps, and if anyone asks, I've not been anywhere near DFW or even Texas.....

And the performance of the Carbotechs may make your dog carsick.....
Old 11-21-2003, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Kev ... sounds like you are on the right path.

The C5 upgrade is a possibility. However, it will require you to have 17" rims. Not sure if you have 16" or 17" rims. Lou's a real kick in the pants, ain't he?

Keep clean brake fluid in the car. an Annual flush would be in order.

I don't have ANY experience with iRotors. Carbotech pads are a great pad and Larry really does know his stuff.

It would behoove you to do a really good brake bedding when you change rotors and pads.

Do some 50% stops from about 30 to 10 and slowly increase your speed increments up to about 60 or so. This will bring the rotor temps up SLOWLY. Thern park the car overnight to let the brakes completely cool.

You already know this, but brake life and performance is all about heat management. At 130 and you need to shut it down to 60, stab the freaking brakes, get the car slowed down and then get off the pedal. The longer you are on that pedal, the more heat you are generating. Pedal pressure plays no significant role in heat build up.

So, what did LGM set you up with?
Old 11-22-2003, 12:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Best deal going in brake fluid is ATE Super Blue and ATE Type 200 (super blue is blue, type 200 is gold, same fluid it just makes it easier to see when you have flushed fresh fluid through the system). It is rated at 382 degrees (wet boilling point) which is one of the higher wet boiling points I've seen (Castrol SRF is higher, but it's $70 a liter). The ATE can be purchased from www.ogracing.com for $9.99 a liter (I've got 7 of them in the garage, 3 blue and 4 gold). I'd suggest that as an upgrade to be done real soon.

Kevin
Old 11-22-2003, 01:43 AM
TECH Resident

See...I knew you guys would come through

I put the iRotors on (Thanks iRotors !!) and the Carbotechs (Thanks Larry !!) this afternoon before returneing to the Interstate. MAJOR difference

I bedded the brakes per Larry's instructions ( He sent me the Bobcats) and then let them cool until I had to go into work. First major haul down almost put Brando (partner) thru the windshield

I am going to have the brakes bled and do the swap to the synthetic on Tuesday. Once this set of the iRotors wears out I will be callin on Lou and see if I can step up to the 13's. Hopefully (beg, beg, beg) the folks at iRotors will be into a set of 13 inch C5's for the car. As for the wheels, Jay at SLP has also helped out by sending us a set of the 2002 SS wheels. They are definately different (for a police car) but hey...this whole little project is a major step from the norm for a city vehicle.

I am going to try and figure out how to post some pics for ya'll to check out the car. I have had a blast the past 2 nights in it.

I appreciate all of your guys help and the support that I have gotten from the sponsors on the board for the K9 Unit. I am going to try fixing my sig so that everyone can see the progression of the mods that have been done.

Angie at Thunder Racing has offered up a TR224/112 so I am drooling over the thought of that little addition BIG

If ya'll have info on how to post pics, send me a PM so that ya'll can see the car.

Be Safe,
Kev
Old 11-22-2003, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Man i'm glad i don't live in Dallas, i have a hard enough time with the CHP here
Old 11-22-2003, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, I guess it really isn't so smart telling the fuzz what to do to make their cars at least respectible ...
Old 11-23-2003, 12:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

You said "swap to the synthetic"? You are not using dot 5 fluid are you? IF you are considering it, DON'T. You'll not be happy with the results. Just wanted clarification on the "synthetic" item?

Kevin
Old 11-23-2003, 05:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Good catch, TB ...

DOT 5.1

NOT DOT 5.

ATE Superblue, Motul 5.1, Ford HD truck ... any of these will be great. Just remember to add a brake bleed to the cars 6 month maintenance schedule.

Or, get Castrol SRF and don't worry about it.
Old 11-23-2003, 09:05 AM
TECH Resident

No, No, No worries....my mistake. The car is totally factory as far *** the fluids go, other than the oil. Sorry for the confusion.

And...come on guys. You really think that if you ever ran into me on a, " Meet the officer " night, that I would really give you a coupon for playing. Give me a little credit

I would probably take up about 30 minutes of your time asking questions and oogleing your rides

Kev
Old 11-23-2003, 04:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Where is your beat once again?
Old 11-23-2003, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

ROAD TRIP!!!!!!!

I can be there by morning...and I hear there's beer in Texarkana.....

Anybody got a truck and a houndog?

I think they should have used a black Camaro anyway.....

Quick Reply: Callin Mitch & Trackbird !!!!