Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear shocks for my situation?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009 | 06:30 PM
TECH Addict

Default Rear shocks for my situation?

Did some reading and wanted some conversation since I couldn't find anything specific to my situation.

I've got an 02 Z28 that I drive 98% on the street and take to a couple rentals a year (maybe 2-3). The stock shocks are on the car now but my rear passenger shock just went, so I need to replace it. I was just going to go with the OEM Monroe shocks since they're like $28 each (I'll replace both rears but I'm not doing the fronts). I was also offered the KYB non-adjustables for the same price. My other option is to go with the KYB adjustables for like $120 each.

I've got pretty decent decent traction right now, especially since I'm about to go back to stock gearing in the trans (have an MN12 right now). 1.62 60' on 16" ET Streets and while it could be better, it's not terrible. I guess I'm just wondering first if it's really worth it to go with the KYB adjustables for $120 each considering how infrequently I track the car. I definitely can't afford the QA1s or Konis and to be honest I was just thinking about putting an OEM shock in the car since I didn't plan on spending big money and they're only $28 each.

If I do go with the stockers for my situation, do you think it really makes a difference going with KYB instead of Monroe? Thanks for the help, guys. I'd like to go adjustable, but I'm just not sure if it's worth it going with KYB for $240 vs OEM for $56, seeing as how I can't afford expensive adjustables and probably won't be able to anytime soon.
Old 08-11-2009 | 11:02 AM
TECH Addict

Nothin? Little help?
Old 08-11-2009 | 11:51 AM
TECH Resident

The monroes aren't OEM FYI. All of those shocks you are considering are mostly crap so I don't know what to tell you. If that is all you can push for then thats what you can do. If I were you I would spend the $435 w/ Strano and get a full set of the strano spec bilsteins. If you divide that by 4 thats about $108 each for a shock that is waaaaay better than those mentioned above.

If you are wanting to do rears only I would call Sam and see what he can do for you.
Old 08-12-2009 | 07:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
The monroes aren't OEM FYI. All of those shocks you are considering are mostly crap so I don't know what to tell you. If that is all you can push for then thats what you can do. If I were you I would spend the $435 w/ Strano and get a full set of the strano spec bilsteins. If you divide that by 4 thats about $108 each for a shock that is waaaaay better than those mentioned above.

If you are wanting to do rears only I would call Sam and see what he can do for you.
Thanks for the advice. I'll give him a call and see since I'm only looking to do the rears. At best, I can only spend about $200+ so I just can't afford the high quality shocks right now and I really only need to replace the rears. Keep in mind I'm coming from stock shocks and the only real reason I'm replacing them is because one broke, not because I was looking to do a big upgrade. So while I understand the KYBs are "crap", I need to know if they're "better than stock crap" or "worse than stock crap". As long as they're equal to or better than stock, they're good enough for my application right now. The car isn't a drag or road racing car and rarely gets to the track, like I said. Most of the driving is cruising on the streets on the weekend and as long as they're OEM or better quality, that's good enough for me right now. I just didn't know if there was really a difference between the KYB non-adjustable vs the Monroes or if the $2XX for the adjustable KYBs was worth it, which I'm gathering it's not. Unless Sam says otherwise, there don't seem to really be any other options without spending big money.

Thanks again!

Last edited by PewterScreaminMach; 08-12-2009 at 07:52 AM.
Old 08-12-2009 | 10:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Thanks for the advice. I'll give him a call and see since I'm only looking to do the rears. At best, I can only spend about $200+ so I just can't afford the high quality shocks right now and I really only need to replace the rears. Keep in mind I'm coming from stock shocks and the only real reason I'm replacing them is because one broke, not because I was looking to do a big upgrade. So while I understand the KYBs are "crap", I need to know if they're "better than stock crap" or "worse than stock crap". As long as they're equal to or better than stock, they're good enough for my application right now. The car isn't a drag or road racing car and rarely gets to the track, like I said. Most of the driving is cruising on the streets on the weekend and as long as they're OEM or better quality, that's good enough for me right now. I just didn't know if there was really a difference between the KYB non-adjustable vs the Monroes or if the $2XX for the adjustable KYBs was worth it, which I'm gathering it's not. Unless Sam says otherwise, there don't seem to really be any other options without spending big money.

Thanks again!
Definitely call him and he can work around your budget and get you the best parts for your application.
Old 08-12-2009 | 12:59 PM
11 Second Club

def dont buy monroe shocks. i had them on my car and it was like riding in a go-cart. Horrible ride. Put the strano bilsteins on and compared to before it rides like a cadillac and handles better too.

Quick Reply: Rear shocks for my situation?