Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

advice needed...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice needed...

Looking to start modding my ss once i pay it off but want to start with the essentials first... I have been checking the forums for brakes and such but haven't really found what i have been looking for. What in you folks opinion is a dependable brake/rotor/caliper company to buy from? Any information would be much appreciated and if more information on future application of the car is needed just let me know! Thanks
Old 09-01-2009, 01:49 AM
Banned

Do you want to go crazy and get a big 4 piston or 6 piston kit? Stoptech and Baer both make kits with 4 pot setups and I have seen 6 pots fitted (need a 19' wheel at minimum though)

Or you could get a C5 conversion kit. PBR 2 piston calipers, 12.8" rotors, brackets, etc. With a good pad, these brakes are very effective. With the same bracket, you can also fit the C6ZO6 calipers on the 12.8" rotors. Again, you need a 19" wheel for that setup (some 18's might fit)

The C5 kit is what I have and it is enough braking power for my car. The brakes can actually overpower my tires and lock them up if I get in them way too hard (NT-O1's at that)

It doesn't matter how badass your brakes are, you braking potential is limited by the adhesion capabilities of your tires. You may want to start with just swapping the pads on the stock calipers for now and see how that works for you. If its just a daily driver that you occasionally beat on, get a set of HPS pads or Hawk Ceramics and see how that improves them. And remember, if your on junk tires, badass brakes are going to help you stop any quicker.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:30 AM

Thanks a lot for the information bro, if i end up running 18" wheels what recommendations would you have for me as far as brake setups? Also if i run a lower offset wheel will i be able to clear the brakes?
Old 09-01-2009, 11:03 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
I noticed that you are inquiring about a brake conversion. I just wanted to leave you know that UMI Performance offers a C5 brake conversion kit. Below is a link to show you what we have to offer!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...dex&cPath=7_99

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks
Brad
Old 09-01-2009, 03:51 PM

Thanks a lot for the info and link, just out of curiosity though, if i run a lower offset wheel will i be able to clear the brakes?
Old 09-02-2009, 07:18 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MstrespctDAmuscle03
Thanks a lot for the info and link, just out of curiosity though, if i run a lower offset wheel will i be able to clear the brakes?
Hello
I am not too sure on what you mean lower offset wheel. The minimum sized wheel you can use is a 17in due to clearance issues with the caliper. As long as the wheel is 17in and has the same size of back spacing as the stock you should be fine!
Thanks
Brad
Old 09-02-2009, 02:14 PM

Ok thanks for the information man, its definitly a big help! Ill keep that in mind when ordering.. Thanks again