Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help Please, Thud sound when I take off

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 01:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Please, Thud sound when I take off

I have a 98 Z pretty much stock. When I take off hard, It sounds like the rear end is comming through the hatch. I looked at my tires and something is chopping them up. I think it might be the shocks but when I do the test people tell me to do ( push up and down and if it keeps going then the shocks are out) the car springs right back into place. When the car shifts into 2nd I here this thud again but only when I floor it. I cant seem to figure out the problem and the GM dealer here wants me to pay $50 for them to find out for me. PLEASE HELP.
Old 11-26-2003, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Testing the shocks by pushing up and down on the car doesn't always show a problem. Here's some questions, have you changed to a non stock shock, did you just mount different size tires and wheels on the car lately. A few things to see if there broken or loose, torque arm, panhard rod.

Al
Old 11-26-2003, 02:58 PM
STF Veteran

I don't know if this is the problem or not but, I had a Borla exhaust on one of my cars and where the pipe goes over the axle it was pretty close to the panhard rod. Everytime my car hit second the rear end of the car would squat and the axle would hit the exhaust pipe. I don't know if this is your problem but it is a suggestion. Good luck.
One other thing to check is your transmission mount.
Old 11-27-2003, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

transmission mount maybe??
Old 11-28-2003, 11:27 AM
On The Tree

I had what sounds to be the same noise coming from my 98 Z. My problem was my torque arm bushing (the front one that bolts up to the tranny) came completely out, so the torque arm was just banging around inside the carrier. It took me forever to figure it out, cause I thought my rear end had met its demise!! I would definitely check that out!!
Old 11-28-2003, 08:42 PM
Install Director

I would start with the tranny mount. I had the same problem you described and a 1LE tranny mount took care of hte problem. My stock mount was cracked.

Eric
www.installuniversity.com