Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Installed Earl's brake lines and had a problem, advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 05:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installed Earl's brake lines and had a problem, advice?

I just installed Earl's brake lines and had an issue with the area where the "T" fitting is situated at the rear axle (I have a non TCS-car). I installed all five lines, taking care to open all valves and line screws without damaging the hard lines because after all, the car is ten years old. I had a friend help me bleed the lines in the back, and afterwards we decided to check for leaks before putting it back on the ground. It turned out that the line was leaking right at the inlet of the brass looking "T" fitting that is attached to the differential area. Originally, we tightened the line connection at the inlet just a tad, being very careful, and tested the system with a pump of the pedal, and fluid shot out at the "T". We tightened the connection more, and fluid continued to shoot out when pressure was applied. We tightened it again, and the brake line fell out of the brass fitting with the threads from the brass attached!! Needless to say I am screwed with this fitting and I need a new one. How would you guys handle this situation? Call the vendor (WS6 Store) or call Earl's directly. I feel that I was given a faulty piece of equipment and would like a replacement free of charge. All other lines were installed and are not leaking. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Tuffguy610; 09-06-2009 at 09:24 AM. Reason: .
Old 09-05-2009, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

brass is very soft meta. What line was replaced - the flexible line between the body and the differential?
Old 09-06-2009, 08:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If nothing else, a small pick, like the dentist uses, can "peel" the brass out of the fitting on the brake line (remember, brass is soft), and the "T" fitting can be replaced. It sounds like you got the line cross threaded, as it's easy to do, and continued tightening simply killed the threads on the "T".
Old 09-06-2009, 09:21 AM
TECH Regular

Daddy - the flex line between the body and the differential was replaced.

Leadfoot - The stainless line was already attached to the brass line when I took it out of the packaging. I already picked out the brass threads from the stainless threads, and it will not screw into the "T" again, for the "T" is destroyed. I need new parts.

Do you guys think I have a good chance that the vendor or supplier will be able to send me a new "T" fitting? I can assure you that this was a design flaw, my friend and I have installed many components between our cars, and this appeared to be a flaw in the material. Thanks for your help thus far....

Mike
Old 09-06-2009, 06:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuffguy610
.....Do you guys think I have a good chance that the vendor or supplier will be able to send me a new "T" fitting? I can assure you that this was a design flaw, my friend and I have installed many components between our cars, and this appeared to be a flaw in the material. Thanks for your help thus far....

Mike

They should, but it might be quicker to simply find one locally, at a serious auto parts supplier. Just make sure that you get a "T" with the correct flare angle. Some of the braided hose fittings are the 37* AN fittings, and I believe the regular brake line flares are 45*.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:43 AM
TECH Regular

Well, called WS6 store and they sent me to call Earls (which is Holley) directly. Its now lunch time and I have wasted over 16 minutes on hold for them to probably tell me to go f$%^ myself, so I'm just gonna put the stock line back on. I don't care how bad it performs, the front of the car was what I was originally worried about. Its a damn shame that Holley had to follow suit with the s&*()ty customer service bandwagon, I'll never buy any of their products again. To those who commented, thanks for your help.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:10 PM
TECH Regular

Well heres an update: I called Holley (the parent company of Earl's), and after 30 minutes on hold somebody answered to tell me that they don't make D.O.T. approved brake lines anymore. They only do race quality lines. They also sent me back to Mike at WS6 Store, who was very helpful in making sure that the issue was resolved. Originally, Holley wanted me to take all five brake lines off, send them back and have them do an analysis on the bad brake line so that maybe I would get credit for the exchange. Mike at WS6 Store bargained with them and set up a situation where I can send WS6 Store the bad brake line only, and they will send me a new one from their remaining stock. The bottom line: Holley seems to have inappropriate business practices, but WS6 Store is a great vendor who cares about their customers and their reputation. Thanks again, Mike.