Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

considering a short torque arm..

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 11:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default considering a short torque arm..

So I've basically moved my camaro from an autox/spectator drags oriented vehicle to be primarily run in specator drags. I've realized that the best setup to have is almost turning the car into a circle track prostock car. Though in the spec drags there are rules against doing so. The autox setup was an awesome starting point.. but now I'm trying to really squeeze what I can out of the vehicle to keep the tires planted really well in the left turn.

To define what happens in spectator drags.. I need to launch from an embankment on a really poor surface and then beat the car next to me in 1 lap around the short oval track. I brake very slightly (on occasion) going into the 3rd turn. Most of the time I've got the gas pedal pretty close to the floor.

From what I've read is that the short arm will improve launching and corner exit traction over the long arm, but the short arm will cause me to lose some braking power on the rear axle and get some wheel hop. The most braking I do is after crossing the finish line. Is there anything else I should be alarmed about over the short arm?

Now my problem is I already have 2 pt subframes welded on the car. What are my options with the tunnel brace mounting? What are the drawbacks about the tunnel brace mounted to the bottom of the chassis compared to if I mounted it to a 3 pt subframe cross brace? I've heard about issues with floorboard strength and possible increase in noise (which I don't mind too much)
Old 09-08-2009, 12:01 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by z28bryan
So I've basically moved my camaro from an autox/spectator drags oriented vehicle to be primarily run in specator drags. I've realized that the best setup to have is almost turning the car into a circle track prostock car. Though in the spec drags there are rules against doing so. The autox setup was an awesome starting point.. but now I'm trying to really squeeze what I can out of the vehicle to keep the tires planted really well in the left turn.

To define what happens in spectator drags.. I need to launch from an embankment on a really poor surface and then beat the car next to me in 1 lap around the short oval track. I brake very slightly (on occasion) going into the 3rd turn. Most of the time I've got the gas pedal pretty close to the floor.

From what I've read is that the short arm will improve launching and corner exit traction over the long arm, but the short arm will cause me to lose some braking power on the rear axle and get some wheel hop. The most braking I do is after crossing the finish line. Is there anything else I should be alarmed about over the short arm?

Now my problem is I already have 2 pt subframes welded on the car. What are my options with the tunnel brace mounting? What are the drawbacks about the tunnel brace mounted to the bottom of the chassis compared to if I mounted it to a 3 pt subframe cross brace? I've heard about issues with floorboard strength and possible increase in noise (which I don't mind too much)
Bryan, my suggestion is our TPU001. It is our trak pak short torque arm. It had a 1 5/8" crossmember that welds in between your connectors so floorboard strength is not an issue. The shorter torque arm will hit the tires harder than the longer arms but it is a more violent hit. Im not sure if the crossmember will cause you a ground clearance issue. Give me a call here at the office and we can discuss your situation and pricing.
Attached Thumbnails considering a short torque arm..-trakpak-thumb.jpg  
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 09-08-2009, 02:20 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
I noticed that you are considering a tunnel mounted torque arm. And I just want to through this out there for you that UMI Performance has a few different versions to choose from. The options are what type of exhaust you are using. Depends on what type of cross member you use. Either DS loop on not we offer both. Below is a link to show you what all UMI Performance has to offer.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...p57glmktinppg5

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks
Brad
Old 09-11-2009, 09:38 AM
TECH Junkie

I have kooks longtubes and catted y pipe. I often scrape going over this hump where you enter the track at seekonk speedway on the cats.. but I sorta just brush it off.

Where's all the road racers around here? Any input from the experienced guys?
Old 09-11-2009, 12:29 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your in a catch 22. Handling and launching is 2 different suspension setups.

I run a short arm on my car bolted to the brace mounts.Works fine and my car is at the track alot.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Your in a catch 22. Handling and launching is 2 different suspension setups.

I run a short arm on my car bolted to the brace mounts.Works fine and my car is at the track alot.
What do the road race cars that you setup usually have? The long one? Anyone of them run the short one?
Old 09-12-2009, 09:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 110 Likes on 86 Posts

Check out the unit offered by unbalanced engineering