Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

More suspension help for the newbie! (trailing arms and panhard bar)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More suspension help for the newbie! (trailing arms and panhard bar)

I wanted to install some trailing arms and a panhard bar on my car because Im trying to get more serious with the suspension and my question is, why do these 2 particular pieces come adjustable? I noticed that most brands offer them that way. But before anyone answers that question...I made a phone call to one of the performance suppliers on the right and they said it was for cars that are lowered. However, I didnt bother to ask for details, so I was hoping that someone could specify or go into more detail. I wont be lowering the car, so Im assuming I wont need them, right or wrong? If they are for lowered cars, would it benefit or hurt anything on a car that isnt lowered? Lastly, what pluses/minuses are there about having adjustable trailing arms and a panhard bar? Sorry everyone for all the questions, trying to fit it and learn a thing or 2. Thank you
Old 11-29-2003, 10:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The panhard rod can be adjusted to "center" the rear axle under the car. As you lower a car, the axle can be moved off center by the panhard rod (it swings in an arc and lowering the car puts it at a different spot in the "swing" of that arc).

As for control arms. Somebody in marketing said "Gee, we can advertise these as adjustable and sell more". You should only ever need to set them to stock length. So, most are adjustable because they need to be assembled somehow (mostly applies to the rod end type). BMR has a set of poly bushing equipped LCA's that have adjusters in the middle? You shouldn't need to adjust them anyway and that puts the adjuster right where they are most likley to bend (if they see enough force). So, don't worry about the adjustable LCA's. And an adjustable PHB is a good thing.

There is some more info under the tech section on my website (which is in my signature).

Hope this helps!
Old 11-29-2003, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

If Im not going to lower my car (which Im not), will the adjustable panhard bar be necessary and be "a good thing?" About the trailing arms, I wanted to go with a rod/poly combo, is the only way to get that combo is with it adjustable? By the way, I wanted to go with a rod/poly combo on the panhard bar too, is that going to require it to be adjustable too? Lastly, if indeed you have to get them adjustable to get the combo, is there any minuses, drawbacks, disadvantages, etc. of having them adjustable? For ex: What if I hit a big bump or something, will it break loose? (the nut or whatever) Sorry for all the question, but I appreciate your help. Thanks!
Old 11-29-2003, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

Does anyone make trailing arms and a panhard bar with a poly/rod end combo non adjustable?
Old 11-29-2003, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

The rod ends screw in and therefore have some adjustability. I use the bolts from the car to line them up to the same length and tighten them down (with locktite). It is not too hard to do. If you ahve problems once you get them, I or someone will be glad to help.
Old 11-30-2003, 12:03 AM
On The Tree

Well I really didnt want them to be adjustable because Im never going to lower it, but if the only way to get a poly/rod combo is to have it adjustable, then I guess Ill have to live with it. Just the thought if it coming loose if I was to hit a bump or whatnot hard enough causing it to break loose. I was looking around and I didnt find a poly/rod combo that wasnt adjustable. Thanks
Old 11-30-2003, 01:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

If it is a poly/rod, it can't move anyway. In order to adjust it, you have to rotate the Heim joint or the actual bar. The bolts make it impossible for that design to come loose. The only ones you need to worry about are the ones that use left and right hand threaded ends that can be adjusted by spinning the bar. With that design, locktite is an absolute must (in my opinion) to avoid anything coming apart.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: More suspension help for the newbie! (trailing arms and panhard bar)