Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Alignment Woes ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment Woes ??

I don`t know if it`s me or our crappy roads , but since I`ve had my car
I have almost had it alingned atleast once a year I mean I try to avoid as many potholes , manhole covers ECT as I can but once in a blue moon I`ll hit one and it seems my steering becomes all F`D up ??

Is our F-body`s suspensions really that sensitive to a holes or dips in the road ?
I mean I know our 275`s up front grab at every little bump but come on ?

And there could be another factor could my unibody be F`D up ?
Old 09-24-2009, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What do you mean by your steering becomes "f'ed up?? Does the car turn when you have the wheel pointed straight, or something else??

Our cars use SLA front suspension, which is basically the strongest design there is. Hitting slight bumps in the road shouldn't throw anything off. On some of the newer cars like Kias and Hyundais with Macpherson struts you can practically bend the suspension components with your bare hands.

If you're needing alignments that often, sounds like you may have another problem, such as worn control arm bushings or rack bushings.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well my car has always pulled to the right ( bought it used ), but since installing SFC`s it has helped , what I`m experincing is after hitting a large hole in the road you have to fight with the steering wheel to keep it strait , sometimes it`s ok and then it comes back again if I`m applying the brakes or just coasting down the road . Having it alinged does help until I hit another bump that is .

I should also note that if I move my steering wheel from left to right quickly I can hear & feel a slight clunk in the wheel is that normal or could that have somthing to do with my steering columm ?

Thanks Wesman02
Old 09-24-2009, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99canadahawk
Well my car has always pulled to the right ( bought it used ), but since installing SFC`s it has helped , what I`m experincing is after hitting a large hole in the road you have to fight with the steering wheel to keep it strait , sometimes it`s ok and then it comes back again if I`m applying the brakes or just coasting down the road . Having it alinged does help until I hit another bump that is .
The pulling to the right may just be the car following the crown of the road. With 275's up front, that is normal.

I should also note that if I move my steering wheel from left to right quickly I can hear & feel a slight clunk in the wheel is that normal or could that have somthing to do with my steering columm ?

Thanks Wesman02
Clunking is definitely not normal. It could be the steering linkage, inner or outer tie rod ends, rack bushings, or the rack itself. You'd have to check it out to see where its coming from, but that could definitely be at least part of your problem.