Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Black fluid all over inside of rim, smoke and brake stuck -- any advise please

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 09:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black fluid all over inside of rim, smoke and brake stuck -- any advise please

Hi,

Description of events:

Driving and at first brake pedal felt stiff. Then the ABS Inoperable light came on and the TCS light came on. Driving home I hear a thump thump thump from the rear right tire. I pulled over and look at all my tires. There were no flats or road debris clinging. So, I got back in the car and drove home. Noticed black fluid all over the rim on the inside of the wheel well.

Pulled off the tire today and noticed black fluid oozing from the center of the caliper. Figuired since it drove and stopped fine I would drive it to the near by brake place. I noticed a jddddddddggggggg sound as thought the brake bad a rubbing a tad. By the time i pulled over the gear fluid on the brake disc was creating white smoke from the heat of the disc and it smelled sooooooo bad.

Well the people at the shop said "the differential is twisted/bent" and was causing the disc to rub against the caliper. I think thats retarded cause i havent crashed, or launched hard and have a moser 9 inch rear end.

I am going to take off the disc tomorrow, and pull off the backing plate and see if the axle bearing's o ring is alright and the shape of the bearings. That would explain the fluid.....But, the brake pad rubbing and the TCS and ABS inoperable lights being on are still a mystery.

Any advice from any one? Any thoughts? Similar experiences.

Lord knows I love my car but.....what a pain in the rear.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Crystal
Old 09-27-2009, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well maybe you might have the same problem I do. Moser;s quality control sucks. I have a Midwest fab 9in, but they use the Moser axles. I autox my car so I have the the wheels off 100's of times and check my brakes constantly. I noticed axle fluid leaking onto my rotors and dripping on my wheels. I pulled the axle and got a new bearing seal kit. I took it to my machine shop to have them pressed on and as we popped off the stock bearing we see an imperfection in the machineing of the moser axle. its where the seal rubs, not where the bearing rides. it looks like the lathe chattered or something and took a little chunk out of the surface. It was small but it was there. The machinest and i looked it over and knowing that we would get no response out of moser set about to carefully stone the rough spot away. that sounded easier than it was as the axle is very hardened steel. we thought we go it and reinstalled the bearing and backing plate. It has been a year now , but I just pulled a wheel and saw the fuild leak again. I am thinking that the only way to fix this now is to order a new axle and junk the old one.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:49 PM
roy
TECH Resident

Sounds like the bearing went south on you. If that indeed happen then the axle shaft possibly walked out a bit and now the abs/tcs pickup and reluctor wheel are not aligned .
Or the reluctor wheel made contact with the acs/tcs pickup and munched the pickup.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:03 PM
12 Second Club

pictures of the destruction within

bearings that fell out when we pulled it apart Funny, I always thought those things were round. These were cylindrical.

how to make bangle bracelets from your bearing

Last edited by SOM_of_a_Beach; 09-27-2009 at 07:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Black fluid all over inside of rim, smoke and brake stuck -- any advise please