Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

can you watch this video and recognize the noise?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can you watch this video and recognize the noise?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peiZYUlleJ4

makes the noise at low speeds turning the wheel. as i turn it slow the creak is slow, as i turn fast the noise speeds up. also the wheel tilts in...the top of the wheel tilts inside.

i know i posted this on another thread, however it's getting few hits anymore, so i just wanted to make sure some people got a chance to see the video since it is a pretty significant noise and i'm sure hoping someone recognizes it from a problem they may have had. thank you.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:51 PM
TECH Resident

ball joint-s ?? sounds like they are all rusted up annd partially frozen, has the car been sitting, thats my guess.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

First thing I'd check is tie rod ends and ball joints. If not those, then possibly the rack itself is making the noise.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

well the noise is coming from right around where the a-arm meets the k-member, not actually from the end of the a-arm. so, ball joints and tie rod ends are out (most likely). maybe the sound is playing tricks on me, but i feel pretty confident it's coming from the area in the center of the picture.

any other thoughts?
Old 09-29-2009, 02:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sound like you're looking for a magic answer, but you're going to need to check all possibilities. The first thing to check is anything that moves when you're turning the wheel - like stated above that's the ball joints and tie rod ends. The bushings may also be creaking from the stress. Don't discount the possibilities because it sounds like it's coming from the center. Get out some WD-40 or silicone and lube all the rubber bushings - upper and lower control arm etc. Then start to isolate the other possible causes.