Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Changing Suspension Setup : Good Idea ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Suspension Setup : Good Idea ?

Now I`m probabley going to get for this but ,
I`m thinking of changing my current setup which is Eibach prokit &
Bilstine / SLP Tuned shocks , & switching the shocks out to Koni SA`s .
This is a better setup I hope ?
Old 10-10-2009, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Koni sa's are deffinately a better shock than a bilstein.I personally don't like the eibach
springs, but it's not my car.I would say it is a step in the right direction.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What are you looking to accomplish?........Better ride, handling?

IMO, the Bilsteins are built better than the Konis, but the Koni's definitely have the best valving.
Also, which pro-kit do you have?
LS1-frt spring rate = 400 lb/in
LT1-frt spring rate = 377-600 lb/in
The LS1 pro-kit should work good with the front SLP bilsteins, if that's what you have.
Try changing the rear shocks first to the koni's, and see how you like it.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 10-10-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
What are you looking to accomplish?........Better ride, handling?

IMO, the Bilsteins are built better than the Konis, but the Koni's definitely have the best valving.
Also, which pro-kit do you have?
LS1-frt spring rate = 400 lb/in
LT1-frt spring rate = 377-600 lb/in
The LS1 pro-kit should work good with the front SLP bilsteins, if that's what you have.
Try changing the rear shocks first to the koni's, and see how you like it.
Yeah mostly ride quality , a little bit better handling , LS1 springs , the rearend does ride a little stiff , so maybe I should try doing the rear shocks first ??
Old 10-10-2009, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah try the rears first.
Also if your car has the rear aluminum bumpstop spacers I'd remove them, that will help also!
Old 10-10-2009, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the help 99Bluz28 , Yeah I have a few noises coming from the rear suspension, mostly on bumps I can hear a little banging nothing too serious though ( almost like the trunk is trying to open ) , I did look at the rear springs one day & the rear bumpstops were almost touching , so I could only imagine what happens going over bumps .
So I can wait to do the front shocks later then , it won`t hurt anything ?
Old 10-12-2009, 10:17 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 99canadahawk
Now I`m probabley going to get for this but ,
I`m thinking of changing my current setup which is Eibach prokit &
Bilstine / SLP Tuned shocks , & switching the shocks out to Koni SA`s .
This is a better setup I hope ?
Why would you get kicked for that?

The difference between Koni's and Bilstein's is significant. Also not the biggest fan of Pro-kits, but if you have a set that isn't super low, they are workable (though you can do better).

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-12-2009, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Why would you get kicked for that?

The difference between Koni's and Bilstein's is significant. Also not the biggest fan of Pro-kits, but if you have a set that isn't super low, they are workable (though you can do better).
Thanks Sam ,Ahh well most seem to dislike the type of setup I chose for my suspension so thought I would get flak for it .

I do like the stance the prokit offers I just wish it would ride a little bit better more so now since I plan to throw on a set of 19`s next season .

But I really would like my car to handle a bit better too , plus I get allot of flak at my work ( VW / Audi dealer ) they all say these car`s don`t handle worth a S**t & get the ''Muscle cars are just good for strait line`s '' , well I just want to prove them wrong .
Old 10-12-2009, 03:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

A pony-car can handle extremely well.... You can prove them all wrong, that much I promise you.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-12-2009, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
A pony-car can handle extremely well.... You can prove them all wrong, that much I promise you.
THANKS again Sam , I know it will take some work , just wanna show off some of these stuck up Porsche owners ( no offence , I know there is quite a difference between the two cars of course ) .

Stated above one of the fourm members suggested that I could change my rear shocks first & see how that plays out would you recommend this Sam or should I do all four at the same time ??

Thanks Again .
Old 10-12-2009, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

People that say muscle car don't handle worth **** don't know what there talking about.You would be supprised how well you can make an f -body handle.I get these guys in their German imports on the freeway that think there hot ****.I get up there asses and they cant get away from me.They are quite supprised how well my t/a handles.The koni sa's,hollow sway bars,and the watts link made the most difference in all the suspension mods I did.Strano said I would be shocked at the difference in the way my car handles and boy was he right. The watts link was the final part I got and man does that sucker
gule the *** end of the car to the ground.

I would get all four koni's if I were you.I don't think you will be dissappointed
at all with them.The difference is dramatic.That' one of the first things I did.

Last edited by transwiz; 10-12-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by transwiz
People that say muscle car don't handle worth **** don't know what there talking about.You would be supprised how well you can make an f -body handle.I get these guys in their German imports on the freeway that think there hot ****.I get up there asses and they cant get away from me.They are quite supprised how well my t/a handles.The koni sa's,hollow sway bars,and the watts link made the most difference in all the suspension mods I did.Strano said I would be shocked at the difference in the way my car handles and boy was he right. The watts link was the final part I got and man does that sucker
gule the *** end of the car to the ground.

I would get all four koni's if I were you.I don't think you will be dissappointed
at all with them.The difference is dramatic.That' one of the first things I did.

Thanks Transwiz , that`s what I`m talk`n about !!!
I drive Audi`s all the time , took a new S5 V8 4.2L out one day & I`ll say they do handle verry well with quattro and all , but they are lacking in the HP department .

Wow so Koni Sa`s will really make that much of a difference in handling ? I would like to do my swaybars as well but I`m lacking in the HP department right now so gotta save up for those mods too . I`m trying to save up for new wheels , rubber , Corsa catback & now shocks next season , I`m at my limit .

BTW a watts link is that like a panhard bar?
Old 10-12-2009, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The koni sa's make the car ride the way you wish it would.The handling is way better than the stock decarbon's.You would be amazed what a great set of shocks will do.

Go to the Strano Performance site,the watts link is on his list.(Part#10082) If you google fays2 watts link and go to that site it will explain it and what it does.It replaces the pan hard rod.This stuff with performance parts takes time and the cost gets expensive real quick.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:22 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Do shocks make that big a difference? ABSOLUTELY (notice the capital letters). In fact they are the single most important mod there is, with a Watts link not way behind, for stability. That's not to say other parts don't have their uses, like swaybars, and springs, etc, etc. Just that the first thing I always change are the shocks, usually to Koni if I have a choice.

A Watts link replaces the PHB completely (and the PHB brace). It's like two PHB's with a balance bar in the middle so that the body move directly up and down vs. the axle and eliminates the body moving side to side as it goes up and down, and the jacking effects that come with that.

Quick Reply: Changing Suspension Setup : Good Idea ?