Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Question about Adjustable Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 10:24 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Adjustable Shocks

I've done a bit of research and searching and reading about shocks and the different vendors. I see there are a few that are singe/double adjustable and i understand that it changes the ride quality, stiffness, etc. I'mnot an expert on the terms used but i see what it does.

My question is, do you have to make the distinction between drag racing and cornering/ride quality with the shocks or is that mostly springs?

Also, since the shocks are adjustable, does it mean you can adjust them for the track and then adjust them back to street driving and have the best of both worlds? Or is the adjustability a tune it and forget it kind of thing?
Old 10-13-2009, 10:45 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
The single adjustable shocks are a 12way and they are already pre valved to compress and rebound. Which means depending on which setting 1-12 you pick. That's what you get for your set up. And when it comes to the double adjustable you get (the skys the limit) many adjustment features seeing how the one know adjusts the compression and the second adjusts the rebound. Below is a link to show you what all UMI Performance has to offer!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...qro6juags1fk53

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks Again
Brad
Old 10-13-2009, 11:57 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Gatsby
I've done a bit of research and searching and reading about shocks and the different vendors. I see there are a few that are singe/double adjustable and i understand that it changes the ride quality, stiffness, etc. I'mnot an expert on the terms used but i see what it does.

My question is, do you have to make the distinction between drag racing and cornering/ride quality with the shocks or is that mostly springs?

Also, since the shocks are adjustable, does it mean you can adjust them for the track and then adjust them back to street driving and have the best of both worlds? Or is the adjustability a tune it and forget it kind of thing?
Thre are BIG differences between drag shocks and control shocks. Making a shock stiffer or softer isn't the entire story. There are shocks that are stiffer, but ride well and give good control. There are softer shocks that make for a pounding ride and lousy control.

I don't do "drag shocks" because they are really only useful for that purpose. In fact I've got customers who have cars they drag race regularly who've dumped drag shocks (adjustable ones too) for control shocks because they couldn't stand how their cars drove on the street. And in some cases the cars actually left better than with the drag shocks in place.

What you want for drag racing is fast weight transfer, exactly what you can't have if you are trying to keep 3500 pounds from bobbing around. This is why something like a ProStock car doesn't look like other types of race cars that at some point have to turn.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-15-2009, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Lightbulb

Yeah, you need to know what is most important to you ,handling and street manners or weight transfer at the drag strip.
FYI, you'll never get great handling and street manners from shocks designed for the drag strip; "Been there, done that" with both QA1 SA's and DA's!

Like Sam say's:There's a BIG difference between drag shocks and control shocks!
Old 10-15-2009, 03:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will shocks and springs that give me good street manners (it's not a DD but i do drive it over 7500 miles a year), and better handling still be better at the strip than stock? Or will it stay the same at best?
Old 10-15-2009, 03:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts

Might stay the same, might help, can't see where they'd hurt you unless you ran a setting way beyond what I'd consider smart for street use.

I've had customers cut better 60's on Koni's than on their previous drag shocks (and they were under 1.6 to start with). If you have wheelhop that is shock related, and it stops--you'll go faster. I've had others see no change drag racing, but a lot of change everywhere else.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-15-2009, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should propably call up Sam Strano and talk to him on the phone.Strano performance 1-800-729-1831.If you want good street manners stock springs and Koni single adjustables would do that for you.If you want to lower the car,strano springs and Koni sa's would also be cool too.I don't know about the drag strip because I only do street racing and canyon carving myself.There is a mod for the koni sa's where you can lower the car a little.Set the front shocks on the lower perch 3/4" drop in front and heater hose mod in the rear for a 1/2" drop in the rear.I hope I haven't confused you.

Do you like the ride height you have or do you want to drop it a little?I would quess that if you are on stock shocks that it would get better with new ones.Like I said call up sam
and talk to him .He is the man when it comes to suspension.